[News] Licensing in Free Software and Why the GNU GPL (Leader) is Important

Why the GNU GPL Still Matters

,----[ Quote ]
| The other major bone of contention in the discussion about the merits and
| demerits of the GNU GPL concerns the issue of efficiency: that is, what is
| the best way to encourage coders to join projects and for users to adopt
| software. But this, too, if based on a misunderstanding of free software: the
| point of free software is not to spread software, but to spread freedom.
|
| It is not trying to be “efficient”, it is trying to be ethical; ideally you
| want both – and in many respects, the culture that the GNU GPL fosters is
| extremely efficient, for reasons I'll discuss in a moment. But if efficiency
| and ethics clash, ethics win every time.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2359&blogid=14

Licensing 101 for Open Source Projects--Pick a License

,----[ Quote ]
| Part I dealt with the impact your licensing choice can have on the use of the
| code you write. This part II focuses on how your choice of license impacts
| your ability to incorporate third party code (whether from third party
| programs or third party contributions). Like in in Part I, the analysis below
| is slightly simplified and addresses license categories instead of individual
| licenses (although individual licenses are used as examples in some places).
`----

http://www.linux.com/news/biz-os/legal/28138-licensing-101-for-open-source-projects-pick-a-license

Apache Software License, Hippo, and BlueNog

,----[ Quote ]
| The Apache Software License, which Hippo CMS uses, is very permissive and
| only requires that redistributions of the software contain a notice file
| giving credit to the original developers. Bluenog isn’t even doing this. And,
| as you would probably expect they are not contributing back to Hippo either.
`----

http://www.contenthere.net/2009/07/apache-software-license-hippo-and-bluenog.html

Related:

Attorney Shaalu Mehra discusses emerging GPL trends (video)

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/147565