[News] GNU/Linux Needs No 'Extras', Unlike Windows

Linux and the Brick and Mortar Establishment

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the things that many people don't realize when complaining about the
| lack of Linux powered machines in Brick and Mortar (B&M) establishments is
| the one thing that's kept Windows the dominant player for ages.
| And what is that little fact? Windows sells software and extras. A LOT of
| software and extras. I've seen this first hand myself. And what about Linux?
| Really, Linux is a loss leader of epic proportions for these stores.
| Why? Because Linux DOESN'T sell a lot of extras. Why? Because Linux just
| works. Ok, so there's still some faults in Linux, but as with any evolving
| piece of software, that's to be expected.  But most of those problems are the
| fault of the OEM's who either don't support Linux, or provide shoddy support.
| If an OEM does support Linux properly, everything's golden in penguin land.
| The same holds true with Windows.  OEM support either makes or breaks an OS.
| But that's another topic for another day.

Microsoft losing control of netbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| The Wall Street Journal has reported how HP and other PC OEMs are currently
| exploring their options for Android-based netbooks.

The year of the netbook

,----[ Quote ]
| After doing all the research, I pounced on a President's Day sale and bought
| a 2.2 lb. Dell Mini 9 for $199, pre-installed with Linux Ubuntu. While this
| computer hardly sets the world on fire with speed or features, it cost $900
| less than my entry-level MacBook. It's taken some getting used to, but it's a
| capable backup and perfect for working on the road. It has decent speakers,
| modest battery life, good wireless connectivity, several USB ports and a
| built-in memory card reader. Mine has a tiny 4 gigabyte hard drive (it comes
| in larger sizes, too). In this world of Web-based Gmail and Google Docs, I
| actually doubt I'll fill it up, since Ubuntu is lean and mean, and I'll still
| use my MacBook for my photos and music.

Ballmer: GNU/Linux Will Win on Netbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| I think this is a very frank analysis of the problem for Microsoft: after
| all, who's going to pay extra money just to get the Windows logo on a
| netbook, when they can get the same features for less with free software...?

math: Windows 7 + netbook = failure - GNU/Linux as remaining winner!

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows XP is basically gone, so an OEM license is worth 20 USD for a
| manufacturer, no problem at all. Windows 7 for Netbooks is the same as all
| other Windows 7 variants - no lean, light, vlighted, 7lited or whatever. Just
| a Starter version like in Windows Vista which gives you the "power" to run
| maximum 3 applications at the same time. Where again is the advantage? Oh
| yes, now Windows 7 Starter crippled edition costs a bit more than 20 USD for
| OEM, I would say around 99 USD after discounts, tax not included or did you
| think MS stops earning money?

One Third of Dell Inspiron Mini 9s Sold Run Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell attributes part of the Linux growth to competitive pricing on the Ubuntu
| SKUs. “When you look at the sweet spot for this category it is price
| sensitivity, and Linux enabled us to offer a lower price entry point,” added
| Dell senior product manager John New.

Netbooks Open Linux Window at BETT

,----[ Quote ]
| On the same stand a large screen showed off the design appeal of the latest
| Ubuntu. This includes multiple windows rotating or rescaling. As this is
| better understood some Netbook users may return to Linux. Asustek Chairman
| Jonney Shih has predicted that about 60 percent of Eee PCs to be shipped in
| 2009 will have Windows XP.

Otellini: Windows 7 Upgrade for Netbooks Will Be Tough'

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has a challenge: Sell a Windows upgrade as a way to save money.
| The company's fourth quarter Windows revenue declined 8 percent, as PC buyers
| opted for lower-priced netbooks that run either Windows XP or Linux, rather
| than the higher-priced Windows Vista operating system, which does not run on
| netbook hardware.

Reports: Microsoft Cripples Windows 7 Starter Edition in Hopes of Netbook

,----[ Quote ]
| With Windows 7 Microsoft is releasing cheap versions of its OS for netbooks,
| but faces the challenge of getting customers to buy pricier versions

Microsoft’s Windows 7 May Not Cure Netbook Headache

,----[ Quote ]