[News] Why the Notion of "Original Work" is Absurd (Input/Output)

Intellectual Monopoly: The Origin of the Pieces

,----[ Quote ]
| In fact, I have often drawn this comparison before, because I see very little
| distinction between the practise of physical slavery, and the equally
| reprehensible practise of intellectual slavery. Indeed, the latter may
| actually be more sinister, since it assumes ownership and control of that
| which touches all of us, not just an unfortunate few, and is a form of
| subjugation which travels silently and invisibly throughout all of society,
| tainting us and compromising our liberties, infecting us with the disease of
| intellectual monopoly, thus assuming ownership of our minds. More bluntly,
| Intellectual Property is a cancer.
`----

http://slated.org/intellectual_monopoly_the_origin_of_the_pieces

Related:

No Minix code in Linux Ever -- More Evidence

,----[ Quote ]
| I saw an article the other day, repeating the mistaken view that there was
| Minix code in an early version of Linux. I knew that was not true, because
| for one thing Linus told us it was not true years ago. And Andrew Tanenbaum
| confirmed that Linus didn't use any Minix code, as did Eric Raymond. But
| here's some evidence for you cynics out there that I hope will settle that
| issue once and for all. It will at least make our historical record on
| Groklaw more complete. Anyway, it's our policy to provide all the evidence we
| can find, because I know you'd like to see it for yourself, not just listen
| to others' conclusions.

Interview with Dr Andrew S Tanenbaum

,----[ Quote ]

`----