[News] Journalism -- Like Software -- Passes Back to the People

But Who Will Cover City Council Meetings?

,----[ Quote ]
| As Jay Rosen notes, it appears that when concerned citizens are interested in
| what's happening in their local governments, they appear to do an amazingly
| thorough job covering city council meetings -- perhaps much more thoroughly
| than the bored reporter using the gig as a stepping stone to a more exciting
| beat.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090714/0402165537.shtml

Hamburg Declaration = Humbug Declaration

,----[ Quote ]
| What a load of codswallop. What makes them think they are the sole guardians
| of that "free, diverse and independent press"? In case they hadn't noticed,
| the Internet is rather full of "quality and varied information, education and
| entertainment on the many platforms", most of it quite independent of
| anything so dull as a newspaper. As many others have pointed out, quality
| journalism is quite separate from old-style press empires, even if the latter
| have managed to produce the former from time to time.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/07/hamburg-declaration-humbug-declaration.html

The press used to be more decentralised and diverse a century ago.

Recent:

Copyright and copy writers

,----[ Quote ]
| Copyright protection in the online world is going to be an exciting area of
| discussion in the coming years, and columnist Connie Schultz got the ball
| rolling recenly with her piece in the Cleveland Plain Dealer.
|
| Schultz writes about a recent panel discussion during which David Marburger
| brought up the idea of dramatically changing federal copyright law to protect
| those who produce news. David Marburger is a First Amendment lawyer who has
| done a good amount of work for newspapers. In her column, she quotes
| Marburger’s ideas on how to go after free-standing web sites and local
| television stations that pull newspapers stories and post them online.
`----

http://www.dnews.com/blogs/2009/06/29/copyright-and-copy-writers/

Because The Mainstream Press Never Copies Stories From Bloggers Without
Credit...

,----[ Quote ]
| And, the newspaper folks who are pushing for such rules might want to
| remember that it's just as likely to come back and bite them if such laws
| were passed.

“With The Utmost Respect”, the Model is Broken

,----[ Quote ]
| In essence, their proposal is to take a leaf out of feudalism, randomly
| taking rights from citizens for the benefit of Newspaper Barons.   The right
| they propose to take is, quite literally, the right to give directions to
| others.  Under their dystopia linking would be illegal – that would be like
| making it illegal in Real Life to tell someone where the nearest school, or
| hospital is.   Such a proposal in the real world is so exceedingly bizarre no
| one would have the courage to float it in public, let alone posit it as a
| serious option.   That such a proposal can today be put forward at all
| indicates not only how completely disconnected from reality has copyright
| ideology become, but also how far that ideology, with its unhealthy obsession
| with demonising legal, justifiable, laudable free riding has
| permeated “official” opinion.    It is also testament to the far reaching
| power of copyright feudalism.
`----

http://brendanscott.wordpress.com/2009/07/01/with-the-utmost-respect-the-model-is-broken/

Why Are Newspapers Exploiting The People They Cover?

,----[ Quote ]
| When we recently wrote about yet another journalist complaining about how
| Google exploits their content, someone in the comments made a really salient
| point that should get wider exposure. If you go by the journalist's own
| logic, then the truth is that they are exploiting the newsmakers they cover.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090417/1544524544.shtml

Judge Posner Recommends Extending Copyright Law To Protect Newspapers

,----[ Quote ]
| But, really, the idea that some extra protectionism is needed to create news
| gathering operations suggests an ignorance of what's actually happening in
| the marketplace. Yes, it's messy right now, but more and more news gathering
| operations are showing up every day -- and they're doing things more
| efficiently, embracing the power of new technologies to do so, rather than
| relying on the old inefficient structures. This is a good thing.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090625/0415405361.shtml

German Publishers demand greater intellectual property laws to protect quality
journalism

,----[ Quote ]
| The principle publishing houses aligned themselves with trade unions of the
| music, film and advertising industries at the "International Media Dialogue"
| in Hamburg earlier this month to discuss to question "No Future for Paid
| Content? Media Industry Under Pressure".
`----

http://www.editorsweblog.org/newspaper/2009/06/german_publishers_demand_greater_intelle.php

Bloggers share a moral code

,----[ Quote ]
| Andy Koh, Alvin Lim and Ng Ee Soon of Nanyang Technological University,
| Singapore used a web survey of 1,224 international bloggers with active,
| text-based blogs to find out more about the authors, their ethical ideals and
| how they put these into practice. Of those surveyed, about half were male and
| 65 percent were under 30. Most were well educated, and the majority were from
| the US - 65  percent - with no other country accounting for more than eight
| percent of the participants.
`----

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/43000/103/

The Guardian Embraces Crowdsourcing The News In Useful Ways

,----[ Quote ]
| Following the recent controversy over expense claims from UK elected
| officials, the paper put all the data online and let people dig through it to
| see what they could find -- and they found a lot of interesting stuff that a
| group of reporters, by themselves almost certainly never would have had the
| time or skill to dig out (some of it included statistical analysis of the
| data).
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090623/0305205322.shtml

Netherlands Considers Internet Tax To Fund Newspapers That Can't Compete

,----[ Quote ]
| A bunch of folks have been sending in various versions of this translated
| article from Holland, noting a proposal that's been brought forth to tax
| internet connections in order to give the money to industries that are having
| trouble competing, such as newspapers.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090623/1440545332.shtml

Newspapers' Plan For Survival: Charge Money, Beat Up On Craigslist And Keep
Repeating To Ourselves That We're Needed

,----[ Quote ]
| There's been plenty of coverage about the potentially antitrust-violating
| meeting of newspaper execs in Chicago recently, and late last week reports
| came out about some of the recommendations put forth by the American Press
| Institute at that meeting. The API apparently handed out two whitepapers,
| both of which are amusing, only in that someone actually thinks they're
| useful. The first was effectively saying: "Craigslist really sucks, so let's
| try to beat up on Craigslist."

Would Joint Action on Online Pricing Violate Antitrust Laws?

,----[ Quote ]
| The under-the-radar meeting hosted by the Newspaper Association of America
| (NAA) Thursday brought together top newspaper executives to discuss various
| issues, including the much-debated topic of charging for online content.
|
| Participants aren't commenting specifically on their discussions, but the
| summit raises the question: Can newspapers collectively decide to put content
| behind a pay wall? And if they did, would that violate antitrust laws?
`----

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003977926

Shhhh. Newspaper Publishers Are Quietly Holding a Very, Very Important Conclave
Today. Will You Soon Be Paying for Online Content?

,----[ Quote ]
| Here's a story the newspaper industry's upper echelon apparently kept from
| its anxious newsrooms: A discreet Thursday meeting in Chicago about their
| future.
|
| "Models to Monetize Content" is the subject of a gathering at a hotel which
| is actually located in drab and sterile suburban Rosemont, Illinois; slabs of
| concrete, exhibition halls and mostly chain restaurants, whose prime reason
| for being is O'Hare International Airport. It's perfect for quickie,
| in-and-out conclaves.
`----

http://correspondents.theatlantic.com/james_warren/2009/05/shhhh_newspaper_publishers_are_quietly_holding_a_very_very_important_conclave_today_will_you_soon_be.php

Newspapers Gather In Secret (With An Antitrust Lawyer) To Collude Over Paywalls

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090528/1832395048.shtml

San Jose Mercury News: No One Reads Us Any More, So Let's Start Charging

,----[ Quote ]
| Media News, the current owner of the Merc, has announced that it's now going
| to start charging for online access to the paper, which seems like a move
| destined to fail dismally (and quickly).
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090517/2210564914.shtml

Sony Pictures CEO: Nothing Good Has Come From The Internet

,----[ Quote ]
| Perhaps part of the problem is the execs who work under him. Mathew Ingram
| points out that at a recent panel discussion the CEO of Sony Pictures,
| Michael Lynton, said: "I'm a guy who doesn't see anything good having come
| from the internet. Period."
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090515/1301064900.shtml

Lawyers: To Save Newspapers, Let's Destroy Pretty Much Everything Else Good

,----[ Quote ]
| That would be a massive reinterpretation of copyright law, and would
| effectively destroy much of what makes the internet useful. This proposal
| would make it illegal to index the web. It would outlaw search engines. Yes,
| for the sake of saving some outdated newspaper businesses, these lawyers wish
| to make it so that before a search engine can index any website, it needs to
| negotiate permission. This would kill the internet.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090517/0236594905.shtml

Why Are AGs Targeting Craigslist Rather Than Newspapers Or Other Websites?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090517/1225254907.shtml