[News] Murdoch's Phone-hacking Scandal and Timbl's Fight Against Snooping

Murdoch papers paid £1m to gag phone-hacking victims

,----[ Quote ]
| Rupert Murdoch's News Group News­papers has paid out more than £1m to settle
| legal cases that threatened to reveal evidence of his journalists' repeated
| involvement in the use of criminal methods to get stories.
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/jul/08/murdoch-papers-phone-hacking

Call for limits on web snooping

,----[ Quote ]
| Governments and companies should limit the snooping they do on web users.
|
| So said Sir Tim Berners-Lee, inventor of the world wide web, who said that
| growing oversight of browsing could have a pernicious effect.

Times Online denies knowledge of link spam campaign

,----[ Quote ]
| Piotr Wyspianski, a manager at Sitelynx, was revealed on the Waxy.org blog to
| have waged a one-man campaign to game web aggregation communities such as
| Digg, Metafilter and StumbleUpon with over a thousand links to Times Online
| stories. Before working for Sitelynx, he had form for a similar astroturfing
| effort for his own online jewellery store.
|
| Predictably, the Waxy.org story has hit the front page of Digg and some
| Diggers have piled in to condemn Times Online, blaming a conspiracy by the
| original Digger himself. "I haven't respected The Times since Murdoch bought
| it, since that effectively means I can no longer trust its content. Fuck you
| old man!" wrote one.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/31/times_online_link_spam/

Hacker testifies News Corp unit hired him

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSN2334980420080424?feedType=RSS&feedName=technologyNews&rpc=22&sp=true
http://tinyurl.com/4lyhpc