[News] [Rival] Brazil Adopts GNU/Linux, So White-collar Criminal Bill Gates Resorts to Blackmail

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Brazil Adopts GNU/Linux, So White-collar Criminal Bill Gates Resorts to Blackmail
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 23:32:04 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Free Linux Software Bridges Brazil's Digital Divide

,----[ Quote ]
| Fifty million Brazilian students will have Christmas in July when software
| Santa slips down the chimney to give them a free ticket on the information
| highway.
|
| With Microsoft software licenses costing up to 1000 percent more in Brazil
| than in the US, the ProInfo program launched by the government of president
| Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva reduces dependence on costly foreign software just
| as the sugar ethanol program for cars reduces dependence on expensive foreign
| oil. The program, administered through the national education secretariat.
| provides free operating systems, backbone and educational content employing
| Linux, Debian and KD3 freeware.
`----

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eric-ehrmann/free-linux-software-bridg_b_221910.html

Open Source Incentives

,----[ Quote ]
| On the alarm front, I heard specific confirmation of a storyline I've been
| following, which is that the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is basically
| telling governments: if you want contributions/investments from us, then
| you'll give Microsoft cabinet-level access to inform policy, and you'll use
| Microsoft products. For example, donations to educational initiatives require
| installing and teaching Microsoft products. It is similar to another story
| line reported by Roy Shestowitz. My informant told me that she was
| fortunately able to point out to the President that this was against Brazil's
| sovereignty and interest, and is one of the reasons that President Lula came
| to FISL, to show is support for the freedoms that "software livre" (aka free
| software, aka open source) mean to Brazil.
`----

http://opensource.org/node/445

Related:

Sentimental blackmail: (RED)mond && Dell

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://beranger.org/index.php?page=diary&2008/02/03/22/48/51-sentimental-blackmail-red-mond-a