[News] The Great Patent Scam Seeks to Turn Simple Ideas to a Marketplace

The Patent Troll

,----[ Quote ]
| Spangenberg predicts a day when corporations and trolls will live in relative
| harmony. He estimates that in the near future, litigation will be taken out
| of the patent equation, and people will buy and sell intellectual property in
| a way similar to the method now used to buy and sell works of art: auctions
| with built-in criteria to determine value.
|
| He explains: “The courts are intermediaries for patents right now, and the
| courts are extremely inefficient. Patents will trade as a commodity in the
| next five to six years, and what I do won’t even exist.
`----

http://www.good.is/post/the-patent-troll/

What Is A Patent Worth?

,----[ Quote ]
| Often, the value of a patent is not publicly known because parties often
| settle matters out of court.  Other times, the value of a patent becomes
| abundantly clear after a blockbuster court case.  For example, a jury
| yesterday awarded nearly $1.7 billion to Johnson & Johnson, whose patent the
| jury determined was infringed by Abbott Laboratories' drug, Humira.  Abbott
| Labs plans to appeal the verdict.
`----

http://www.patentlawinsights.com/2009/06/articles/patent-valuation/what-is-a-patent-worth/

Recent:

The Linux Defenders: Stop the Trolls, Protect Linux, Further Innovation

,----[ Quote ]
| Patent Trolls are an ever-growing threat to global innovation. These IP
| aggregators purchase low-quality patents and use them as leverage to hijack
| potential revenue and profits from hardware and software companies, our
| largest economic driver. This causes entrepreneurs to reconsider launching
| companies, while CEOs devote more of their time and resources to managing
| intellectual property. New online and offline tools and services are becoming
| available to combat Patent Trolls and enable technology companies to focus on
| their core business.
`----

http://www.linuxtag.org/2009/en/program/freies-vortragsprogramm/wednesday/details.html?talkid=582

Patent Litigation Weekly: PubPat and "Patent Troll" Make Strange Bedfellows

,----[ Quote ]
| Ravicher acknowledged that it seems strange for a lawyer affiliated with
| PubPat—even as a volunteer—to have gone so far as to set up his own
| patent-holding company and then sued a group of major Internet players.
|
| "Dave, if you were to talk to him, he’d say software patents are good, and
| they incentivize innovation," says Ravicher. "Some people can’t be friends
| with people who disagree with them. But I’m friends with lots of people I
| have strenuous disagreements with."
|
| Asked whether he surprised by his friend's involvement in the business
| colloquially known as "patent trolling," Ravicher pauses, and then
| laughs. "Nothing surprises me these days."
`----

http://thepriorart.typepad.com/the_prior_art/2009/06/pubpat-and-patent-troll-make-strange-bedfellows.html

Former Microsoft Exec to Release Patent Troll Study

,----[ Quote ]
| The funny part is that this former executive’s company makes its money by,
| you guessed it, collecting patents. The firm has yet to assert any of its
| rights in court, however.
`----

http://www.xchangemag.com/hotnews/former-microsoft-exec-to-release-patent-troll.html

Inventor says Google settles patent claim

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://aftereffects.digitalmedianet.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=680610