[News] Artificial Scarcity Fails

Artificial Scarcity Is Subject To Massive Deflation

,----[ Quote ]
| In discussing the basic economics of scarce and infinite goods around here,
| sometimes certain points get lost or confused. One of the key points that
| we've tried to make (but that sometimes gets lost), when we say that an old
| model is obsolete or going away, is that you can try to hang onto that
| business model, but the economic trends are clear: it's not going to last.
| So, you can try to keep charging for information in a highly competitive
| market, and maybe you can pull it off for a little while. But betting your
| future business on it alone? Good luck.
|
| [...]
|
| The reason old business models are at risk is because the free distribution
| of content is simply more efficient due to modern technology, and it's about
| as close to impossible to hold back economic efficiency, once enabled.
| Artificial scarcity is based on pretending you can hold back that efficiency.

West Virginia sues Comcast over cable box tying

,----[ Quote ]
| The attorney general of West Virginia has filed suit against Comcast,
| alleging that subscribers need a company-provided cable box to receive
| premium services, which constitutes illegal bundling.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/reviews/2009/07/west-virginia-sues-comcast-over-cable-box-tying.ars

Recent:

Opinion: Microsoft is doing something half right

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=337564