Re: [News] U.S. Postal Office Migrates to GNU/Linux

  • Subject: Re: [News] U.S. Postal Office Migrates to GNU/Linux
  • From: GPS <georgeps@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 15:11:58 -0600
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> U.S. Postal Service Gives Stamp of Approval To FOSS
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The U.S. Postal Service (USPS) has switched 1,300 of the servers that
> | manage its package tracking system to a Linux environment. The move has
> | taken the better part of a year since all the original system code was
> | written in Cobol and had to be converted for Linux -- a less expensive
> | option than rewriting it altogether.
> `----
>
> http://ostatic.com/blog/u-s-postal-service-gives-stamp-of-approval-to-foss

Please keep in mind that the USPS is brought to you by the same people that
brought you Amtrak.  Amtrak is a slow and wasteful way to travel.  Every
time I have compared Amtrak to an airplane flight, it has been significantly
more costly to ride the train, than to take a flight.  It's kept afloat by
US tax dollars.  US tax dollars are kept afloat by nothing.

Now, I am not saying that USPS is all bad.  It's good in some places.
Nearly every person I have ever met that worked at the post office was rude
though, when asked a normal question, in a polite way.  They hate their
jobs.  The managers must be very poor, and that means that higher up there
are other problems, based on my experience.

The US people cry out "someone should do something!"  What they are really
saying is "I'm too lazy to help others.  I would rather that someone else
does it!"  So they get what they want, and their taxes increase, and now the
US has taxation without representation, and the US Constitution is for
little more than show.

Every Democracy eventually has failed.  The United States was not originally
a Democracy, and the founding fathers were critical of Democracy in their
writings.  The US was formed as a Constitutional Republic.  I don't mind
though, because people are still individuals, and it's not as if the
Constitutional Republic was the best form ever, or that could be.

-GPS