[News] Red Hat and Cisco Use GNU/Linux for SaaS

Cisco, Red Hat in the Cloud: Friends or Enemies?

,----[ Quote ]
| What is the operating system of the cloud? Linux vendor Red Hat would like it
| to be Linux. But networking giant Cisco, despite working closely with Red Hat
| in a number of areas, may be going another direction entirely.
|
| Both Red Hat (NYSE: RHT) and Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) were busy last week with
| their own respective cloud-related initiatives. Red Hat launched a new cloud
| certification program while Cisco outlined its go-to-market cloud strategy.
| Is there an intersection between the two vendors and their cloud initiatives?
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3828346/Cisco+Red+Hat+in+the+Cloud+Friends+or+Enemies.htm

Recent:

Cisco offers Linksys 802.11n router with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The choice of Linux still allows for media sharing and, through USB storage,
| can share media to any computer or other device that recognizes UPnP.
| Security is also as advanced as other routers with a single-button Wi-Fi
| Protected Setup link for those computers that support it. Cisco's latest
| hardware should be available today and sells for $120.
`----

http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/06/23/cisco.wrt160nl.router/

Cisco releases Linux-powered 802.11n router and media-server

,----[ Quote ]
| At first glance that may not seem that interesting. But, this isn’t just a
| new Wi-Fi router with Linux. Cisco, via its Linksys subsidiary has long been
| offering users Linux-powered, hackable Wi-Fi routers like the WRT54GL. But,
| this one also includes integrated Storage Link functionality that lets you
| use inexpensive USB storage devices as NAS (Network Attached Storage) and a
| built-in media-sharing server that Cisco says can handle video, photo, and
| music sharing.
`----

http://practical-tech.com/operating-system/linux/cisco-releases-linux-powered-802-11n-router-and-media-server/

Cisco AXP Contest Field Narrowed to Top 10

,----[ Quote ]
| Companies are growing more comfortable with the concept of open source
| development, but they don't always approach it in the same way. Some try to
| build communities; some try to work in-house first then slowly branch out,
| and some just jump in with both feet and swim in the deep end from day one.
`----

http://ldn.linuxfoundation.org/blog-entry/cisco-axp-contest-field-narrowed-top-10

Them's Fightin' Words: Cisco Says HP-Microsoft Alliance Cuts Out Partners

,----[ Quote ]
| Cisco Systems called out Hewlett-Packard's and Microsoft's $180 million
| unified communications and collaboration alliance, saying it leaves partners
| out of the loop and that neither company has the networking chops to support
| the solutions.
`----

http://www.crn.com/networking/217701681;jsessionid=Q1CWJSLFU5VZIQSNDLRSKH0CJUNN2JVN

Cisco whinges about Microsoft-HP alliance

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1184513/cisco-whinges-microsoft-hp-alliance

Related:

Cisco finds that it's not so easy working with Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Apparently Microsoft has "taken limited steps to share users' presence and
| availabilty information," for fear of losing its ability to own all of the
| client.
|
| Someone should tell Chambers that in reality it's not so easy working with
| Microsoft.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/19726?ts0hb=&story=ht

Cisco CEO Says Microsoft Screws Its Partners Everytime...Just Like Apple.

,----[ Quote ]
| If partnering with Microsoft is not a win-win then it must be a win-lose…in
| Microsoft’s favor of course.
`----

http://www.ceosmack.com/2007/07/25/cisco-ceo-says-microsoft-screws-its-partners-everytimejust-like-apple/

Cisco CEO: 'Microsoft Has Given Us a Three-Year Lead'

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has given us a three-year lead. And we've never lost a
| game when we've had a three-year lead... It's a battle we fully
| intend to win.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070405/31630_id.html?.v=1

Microsoft's Worst Nightmare (Nope, Not Google)

,----[ Quote ]
| The Cisco/Linksys drive into the home follows an absolutely miserable
| effort by Microsoft, which had a first-mover advantage but blew it in
| favor of its Xbox gaming play. Maybe Microsoft figured the timing just
| wasn't right. In any case, Microsoft angered a lot of digital home
| integrators who were hoping for some support to break open the
| market.
`----

http://www.crn.com/digital-home/198700830

Cisco benefits as Microsoft keeps moving the goalposts

,----[ Quote ]
| Forced between choosing between unified comms vendors, many users
| are reluctantly opting to use an alternative to Microsoft. Others,
| it seems, are a lot less disappointed.
|
| [...]
|
| The Microsoft partner confessed that Cisco is the preferred option. "Cisco
| has a better track record of consistency on upgrades. Whereas Microsoft?s
| new products can be a completely different kettle of fish from the last,"
| he said.

Cisco, Microsoft, Others Get Together On Security

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft, Cisco Systems and the open-standards Trusted Computing
| Group each developed their own NAC approaches, which use a variety
| of software and hardware to boost network security.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ibd/070531/tech01.html?.v=1

Can Microsoft and Cisco Still Be Pals?

,----[ Quote ]
| That puts it in direct competition with Microsoft, which is No. 2
| with its Live Meeting service. Microsoft's big push will come in
| June when it begins producing a host of products, including Microsoft
| Office Communicator 2007.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/content/may2007/db20070509_476708.htm?campaign_id=yhoo
http://tinyurl.com/2pt3yw

Why the world needs openness, not interoperability.

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-11203_3-6112960.html?part=rss&tag=6112960&subj=news