[News] Free Software Philosophy Comes to US Education

U.S. Push for Free Online Courses

,----[ Quote ]
| Community colleges and high schools would receive federal funds to create
| free, online courses in a program that is in the final stages of being
| drafted by the Obama administration.
`----

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2009/06/29/ccplan

Open Source Resources in Education: Opportunities and Challenges, Norm Friesen

,----[ Quote ]
| The education community has been at the forefront in envisioning and
| conceptualizing infrastructures intended for utilizing and sharing digital
| content or resources. However, this community has faced challenges in making
| these visions a reality. We begin by describing a relatively early attempt at
| creating an economy for sharing educational resources, referred to as
| learning objects. We then discuss two approaches to opening up educational
| contents to the world under the auspices of the more recent Open Educational
| Resources (OER) movement. One of these approaches has focused on creating
| open resources from scratch, utilizing Wiki content development and
| management technologies in the wake of the phenomenal success of Wikipedia. A
| second approach is represented by developments in Open Courseware. Following
| the example of MIT's Open Courseware (OCW), this approach has more recently
| been adopted by many other educational institutions under the OCW Consortium.
| We conclude by making the case that this second approach may represent the
| most promising of recent developments in the adaptation of open source and
| open content to educational practices and technologies.
`----

http://www.osbr.ca/ojs/index.php/osbr/article/view/911/880

Wikimedia Foundation Gets $300K for Wikimedia Commons

,----[ Quote ]
| The Ford Foundation has just granted $300,000 to the Wikimedia Foundation to
| support Wikimedia Commons, Wikipedia's repository for free, sharable
| multimedia files.
`----

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/wikimedia_foundation_gets_300k_for_wikimedia_commo.php

Recent:

OpenSecrets Moves To 'Open Data' Model

,----[ Quote ]
| CRP is expecting all sorts of data mash-ups, maps and other cool projects to
| result from the new capability. Transparency group the Sunlight Foundation
| helped fund OpenSecrets.org's OpenData initiative to make millions of records
| available under a Creative Commons "Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike"
| license. CRP will continue to offer its data to commercial users for a fee.
`----

http://techdailydose.nationaljournal.com/2009/04/opensecrets-moves-to-open-data.php

Why We Need Open Data

,----[ Quote ]