[News] Free/Open Source Software Business Pays Off

Open-source companies log impressive growth in Q2 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| Those "advocates" are funding the payrolls of a range of open-source
| companies. Here are just a few examples of those benefiting from this
| enterprise shift to open source:
|
|     * The VAR Guy (@thevarguy) reports that both xTuple and Sopera are
|     profitable. While he doesn't comment on how much they're doing in sales,
|     profitability is, in itself, a significant achievement...
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10282668-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Just finished: the final edition of the SME guide to open source

,----[ Quote ]
| It has been an absolutely enjoyable activity to work in the context of the
| FLOSSMETRICS project with the overall idea of helping SMEs to adopt, and
| migrate to, open source and free software. My proposed approach was to create
| an accessible and replicable guide, designed to help both those interested in
| exploring what open source is, and in helping companies in the process of
| offering services and products based on OSS; now, two years later, I found
| references to the previous editions of the guide in websites across the
| world, and was delighted in discovering that some OSS companies are using it
| as marketing material to help prospective customers.
`----

http://carlodaffara.conecta.it/?p=281

Linden Lab Worth $658-700 Million, 2009 Revenues Forecast at $100 Million -
Analyst

,----[ Quote ]
| You can download the full NeXt Up report on Linden Lab from the SharesPost
| site after creating a free account. For a company analysis, it actually makes
| for interesting reading. (Even the Tea Crate Rebellion and the War of the
| Jessie Wall rate a mention in the company history section.) More salient to
| Internet business watchers, however, is the analyst's estimate of Linden's
| revenue and profit, with the former forecast to hit $150 million in 2011, and
| profit (i.e. "Net Income") to reach $35 million that same year. (See chart
| above.) NeXtUp uses these numbers and related virtual world business sales
| (such as Disney's purchase of Club Penguin for $350 million) to arrive at
| that half billion-plus valuation figure.
`----

http://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2009/07/700-million-world.html

Related:

Second Life Swapping Engines At 40,000 Feet

,----[ Quote ]

http://linux.about.com/b/a/257654.htm