Re: [News] Dell Says GNU/Linux Sells Well

  • Subject: Re: [News] Dell Says GNU/Linux Sells Well
  • From: wispygalaxy <wispygalaxy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 18:37:37 -0400
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Dell is sticking with Ubuntu
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | So, what it all adds up to is that, for now, Dell is standing firmly
> | behind desktop Linux. I only wish I could say the same about the other
> | major hardware vendors. But, down the road, it looks like everyone may
> | be offering Google Chrome OS.
> `----
>
> http://blogs.computerworld.com/dell_is_sticking_with_ubuntu

It's BS that Linux has a tiny amount of the netbook market.  Dell, a
business, sees potential in Linux and is doing the right thing.  Linux is
gaining each day, and more and more people are seeing its goodness.

> And it gets easier than Ubuntu:
>
> Linux Mint
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Linux Mint is an operating system that is used on PCs for production of
> | elegant, up to date and comfortable GNU/Linux desktop distribution. It
> | is quite easy to use compared to other operating systems.
> `----
>
> http://www.ghacks.net/2009/07/02/linux-mint/

Some of my friends are interested in Mint after I recommended it to them.  I
*know* they're gonna love it.

> Dell says Windows 7 price is possible barrier
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Some schools and smaller businesses may not be early adopters due to
> | price. "Schools and government agencies may not be able to afford (the
> | additional cost). Some of the smaller businesses may not be able to
> | enjoy the software as soon as they'd like," Ward said.
> `----
>
> http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10242555-64.html

They should wake up and realize that FOSS is there for them.  :)

> Dell's Latest Latitude 2100: A Kid-Centric Netbook
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Dell goes after the education market with a child-centric netbook, but
> | will it make the grade?
> `----
>
>pcworld.com/article/165078/dells_latitude_2100_more_than_just_kid_stuff.html

Good for Dell to consider kids' needs.  Kids aren't careful with gadgets
like adults, so they need something special.

> New $369 Dell netbook for schools has germ-busting keyboard
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The $369 version weighs 2.9 pounds and runs Ubuntu Linux 8.1 on an 8-GB
> | solid-state disk (SSD) drive with a three-cell battery that lasts 3.5
> | hours, said Lord.
> `----
>
>computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9133238

Ha, this is cute.  Keyboards obviously get dirty since fingers are moving
across it.