Re: GE Dumps Windows for GNU/Linux (on Desktops)

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> ____/ wispygalaxy on Wednesday 08 July 2009 22:38 : \____
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> I was going to be back online tomorrow,
>>
>> Well, we missed you!  :D
>
> Reciprocal! :-)

Hehe, I appreciate the sentiment!  xx

>> I haven't seen you in a while...
>>
>>> but I really got a kick learning
>>> that General Electric had dumped Windows (in some parts) from OpenSUSE.
>>> Sure, it's not the best choice out there, but even Ballnux beats
>>> Ballmer's Vis-tah!
>>>
>>> Sign of the times...
>>
>> Yes, Vista is a disaster.  It is making people switch to Linux!
>>
>>> G-E and MS filed jointly for swpats in the EU  (EBoA referral), but
>>> Windows ain't for them.
>>>
>>> One last thing: PCLinuxOS 2009 is fantastic.
>>
>> I was going to try it out early last year, but Debian won my heart.  ;)
>
> It's mostly the same underneath. PCLinuxOS 2009 is like Mandriva on
> steroids (more software)... still RPM based.

I want to try out RPM-based distros, like Fedora.  I'm not scared at all.

More software is great.

> My sister at GE is getting to
> grips with Linux as well.

Tell your sister good luck!

> The employer /forces/ it (along with Java/C++...
> they don't do dotNYET).

Oh, they make her use it?  I'd be angry if they shoved .NYET in my face!
They use Java, and that's a relief.

>My brother put Mandriva on his laptop.

So, you got your brother to use Mandriva...  I knew it would be a success!