Re: [News] Gentoo Turns 10

On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 15:12:11 -0400, Hans Lister wrote:

> On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 14:02:50 -0500, AZ Nomad wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 1 Jul 2009 18:58:49 +0000 (UTC), Logan Rathbone
>> <dont@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>>Sure there are... wannabe elistist fucktards are hard to get rid of.
>>
>> What's the matter?  The documentation written for somebody with an 8th
>> grade education too difficult for you?  Neighbor's kid got tired of
>> reading it to you?
>
> He probably got tired of waiting a week for the system to compile and
> install only to discover that with today's modern hardware it only runs
> marginally, if that, faster.

Precisely.  Gentoo "too difficult" for me?  Puh-lease.  That's exactly
what I mean by "wannabe elitist fucktards".  Gentoo users think they're
*so* special just because their OS gives them the illusion that they're
using something complex or difficult.

No, Gentoo is *not* difficult to use.  It's really easy and does a *lot*
of hand-holding.  (Just because the hand-holding is done through console-
based tools does *not* mean it's not hand-holding.)

The problem is with the redundancy of compiling everything.  It's a waste
of time.  You see, unlike the Gentoo WEFs, I don't particularly *enjoy*
waiting hours to compile the newest version of Firefox, OOo or glibc just
so I can walk around telling people how *great* and *special* I am that
I'm a Gentoo user and I compile everything.  If you're the kind of person
who *enjoys* that kind of thing, then *by all means*, use Gentoo.  I'm
not going to stop you.