[News] [Rival] US DHS (with Microsoft Inside) Afraid of Windows Zombies

US 'concerned' over cyber threat

,----[ Quote ]
| The issue of cyber security is of "great concern" to the US, the nation's
| homeland security secretary has said.
| Janet Napolitano told the BBC that protecting against virtual attacks was
| something the US was "moving forward on with great alacrity".

The BSA pressured DHS to adopt Microsoft on the face of it.

The Huge Hidden Cost of Microsoft Software

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday I wrote about a report from ACT that brought up the issue of TCO
| for free software.
| As I pointed out there, it's old news that free software has costs; but what
| is more interesting is the fact that fans of the proprietary world always
| fail to point out the huge hidden costs of using poorly-written closed-source
| software. Here's a great demonstration of my point:
| The `Conficker worm' caused chaos when it hit Manchester town hall in
| February. Now we can reveal the bug cost the council more than £43,000 in
| lost' bus lane fines.
| The computer problems meant 1,609 tickets could not be issued within the
| 28-day legal limit - rendering them useless.
| In total, the Conficker worm cost taxpayers in Manchester nearly £1.5m, the
| M.E.N has learned.
| A £1.2m bill in the IT department, including £600,000 getting ‘consultancy
| support’ to fix the problems, which including drafting in experts from
| Microsoft;
| £178,000 in extra staffing costs across the town hall – including £169,000
| going to clear up a backlog of benefits claims and council tax bills;
| Compensation payments due to delays in processing benefit claims.
| A few things to note here.

DHS project aims to bring open-source software to state and local agencies

,----[ Quote ]