Re: [News] KDE 4.3 Reaches Release Candidate, Preview of KDE 4.4 Appears

  • Subject: Re: [News] KDE 4.3 Reaches Release Candidate, Preview of KDE 4.4 Appears
  • From: Logan Rathbone <dont@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 18:50:27 +0000 (UTC)
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 18:21:06 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> [snip]
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Core KDE developer Aaron Seigo posted a much-anticipated screencast of
> the | upcoming 4.3 release.
> |
> | This snapshot is approaching the final release (due in a month) and
> comes | after more than 2300 bugs (including duplicates) were closed.
> `----
>
> http://www.techworld.com.au/blog/talkingtech/2009/06/
kdes_seigo_gives_sneak_peek_at_version_43

> [snip]

Well, it looks like I'll have to give this thing (ie, KDE4.x) another
try.  aseigo's screencast makes it look quite compelling, and we've
finally got a default KDE4 theme that doesn't look hideous.

But hideous default themes aside, the MAIN reason I've been so turned off
KDE4 is that it's just dog-slow on my machine.  I don't have a
particularly fast computer, but it's not ridiculously slow either:  1.8
GHz athlon (32-bit), 1 gig of ram, and a Radeon 9250 w/ open-source
'radeon' driver (last ATi card to be supported by open-source DRI
drivers, afaik).

So, are proprietary drivers required for this thing to run smoothly, or
something?  If that's the case, doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose
of an open source desktop environment?