[News] PHP 5.3 Out Shortly, Free Software Revolutionises Programming

PHP 5.3 coming June 30th

,----[ Quote ]
| PHP 5.3 could be out as soon as Tuesday June 30th. The new open source
| language release is a big deal for a lot of reasons, not the least of which
| is the fact that by my count this is the first major update to PHP since 2006
| and the PHP 5.2 release.
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2009/06/php-53-coming-june-30th.html

Engineers Are The Best Deal - So Stock Up On Them

,----[ Quote ]
| Software engineers today are about 200-400% more productive than software
| engineers were 10 years ago because of open source software, better
| programming tools, common libraries, easier access to information, better
| education, and other factors. This means that one engineer today can do what
| 3-5 people did in 1999!
|
| The advent of open source software makes engineers particularly efficient.
| One VP Engineering that I talked to gave me an anecdote about one module
| where they used open source files with about 500,000 lines of code and then
| wrote 7,000 lines of code to stitch it all together. Open source software is
| also free. In the company I was running in 1999, ?software? was a huge budget
| line item ? we had to buy databases, testing suites, libraries, and more.
| Today all that stuff is free ? a start-up might spend more money on sodas for
| the office than it does on software.
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/23/AR2009062303481.html

A Beginner's Guide to Free Software Programming Languages

,----[ Quote ]
| Curious about programming, but having trouble getting started because you're
| confused about all those languages? This article will give you an overview of
| the most common desktop languages you'll see in free software today.
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/6784/1/

Recent:

Zend Technologies Readies a New PHP Application Server

,----[ Quote ]
| ... 95 percent of them go on to deploy on Linux.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/162303/zend_technologies_readies_a_new_php_application_server.html?tk=rss_news

PHP Zend Framework 1.7 adds Adobe support

,----[ Quote ]
| The Zend Framework 1.7 also includes some other neat features that PHP
| developers will likely benefit from. Among them is the  ZendX_JQuery module
| which provides integration with the JQuery JavaScript toolkit. There is also
| support in the Zend_Search_Lucene module for indexing Office Open XML
| documents which could be a very useful thing too.
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2008/11/php-zend-framework-17-adds-ado.html

Why You Cannot Forge an Open Source Forge

,----[ Quote ]
| Although proprietary software may try to create the same kind of community
| using add-ons, extensions and the like, it can never hope to match the power
| of truly open software in this regard. Indeed, that's one of the great things
| about free software: the more that an associated company gives in terms of
| licensing its code freely, the more it is likely to receive from the
| community that forms around that code.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?blogid=14&entryid=808

Will IBM Buy Zend / PHP ?

,----[ Quote ]
| In my view, there can only be one company and that company is IBM. Let me
| explain by first eliminating the other potential suitors.
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2008/05/will-ibm-buy-zend-php.html

Zend stacks PHP for work and play

,----[ Quote ]