[News] Will BlackBerry Turn to Free Software to Prevent Windows Mobile-Like Death?

  • Subject: [News] Will BlackBerry Turn to Free Software to Prevent Windows Mobile-Like Death?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 00:13:23 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Could RIM Benefit From Open Source BlackBerry?

,----[ Quote ]
| Research In Motion often fields the question of whether it might follow
| Symbian's lead by making the BlackBerry OS open source. While there's nothing
| to suggest such a move is in the cards, RIM executives have acknowledged that
| this could make sense in certain types of scenarios, and BlackBerry
| developers are intrigued by the options this would afford them.
`----

http://www.crn.com/mobile/218101456;jsessionid=QS5E3ZKAHBE3UQSNDLRSKHSCJUNN2JVN

Recent:

Will BlackBerry and Kindle go the open source route?

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source is flavor of the month in the mobile world, with Android and the
| Symbian Foundation showing off their wares, and the vendors of other mobile
| platforms are coming under pressure from developers and investors to consider
| going open too.
`----

http://www.rethink-wireless.com/?article_id=664

Testers sought for Blackberry-Linux sync software

,----[ Quote ]
| A developer of Mac-based sync utilities is seeking beta testers for what it
| calls "the first Linux-to-BlackBerry sync solution." Information Appliance
| Associates (IAA) is initially testing its free "PocketMac for BlackBerry,
| Linux Edition" software on Xandros Linux running the KDE PIM suite.

Free BlackBerry Downloads: Five Open Source Mobile Apps

,----[ Quote ]
| Can't get enough free BlackBerry downloads? Don't worry, we're here to help.
| This week we've gathered a handful of open source apps to help customize--and
| optimize--your RIM smartphone.
`----

http://www.cio.com/article/373413/Free_BlackBerry_Downloads_Five_Open_Source_Mobile_Apps

Pimp your Blackberry with the Ubuntu Theme!

,----[ Quote ]
| Want linux on your blackberry? I wish there was a mod available for that but
| for now everyone can enjoy the crisp smooth Ubuntu Hardy theme on their
| blackberry smartphone!
|
| Check it out!
`----

http://www.ubuntu-unleashed.com/2008/09/ubuntu-theme-on-your-blackberry.html

RIM execs settle with SEC over backdated options

,----[ Quote ]
| The Securities and Exchange Commission is charging four executives at
| Research In Motion - the firm behind the BlackBerry - with offences related
| to the backdating of share options.
|
| The SEC alleges RIM's CFO Dennis Kavelman, former VP of Finance Angelo
| Loberto, and Co-Chief Executive Officers James Balsillie and Mike Lazaridis
| illegally backdated share options between 1998 and 2006.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/18/blackberry_share_probe/

Share shenanigans cost RIM $1.4 million

,----[ Quote ]