Re: [News] Berlin Colleges Dumps Windows and Move to Desktop GNU/Linux

http://www.h-online.com/open/Berlin-art-colleges-switch-to-Linux--/news/113619

>> Same link:
>> (((((
>>> As part of the changeover, the colleges are also developing
>>> platform-independent software
>> )))))
>>

>> Cross-platform apps favor Windows.  Cross-platform FOSS developers are
>> doing a favor for Microsoft.
>>
>> Yeah, right, despite all reasoning and evidence to the contrary.
>
> Just a mere drop in the ocean to Microsoft, silly.  Maybe, if that rate
> can be sustained, Linux will gain parity with Windows by the year 3000 and
> you will finally be somewhat satisfied.
>
> Curiously:  "The change is being made because the existing hardware cannot
> be upgraded to Windows Vista or Windows 7. The colleges would have had to
> spend five-figure sums to buy newer hardware and pay additional licence
> fees for Windows. The money that they've saved is now going to be spent on
> teaching."
>
> So instead of giving the students up to date computers, the money is being
> used to give the teachers a raise in pay.  I bet the students are all for
> that!

Wrong. Instead of giving a shitload of money to Microsoft and computer
dealers, more students get better education.
The quality and future usefulness of a college education relies on a
properly set-up curriculum, good overall teaching skills, and last but not
least maximizing the amount of contact time between students and their
teachers.
Contrary to what certain Wintroll idiots want to make us believe, the OS
used in a college is not important in any way. Students don't produce
better reports and letters if they use MS Office instead of OpenOffice;
they produce better reports and letters if they get more and more personal
attention from teachers.

Richard Rasker
--
http://www.linetec.nl