Re: [News] Berlin Colleges Dumps Windows and Move to Desktop GNU/Linux

After takin' a swig o' grog, Matt belched out
  this bit o' wisdom:

> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>>
>> The vast majority of computer users are inert -- they just use what is
>> default.
>>
>> You've never shown numbers that show that cross-platform apps push people
>> from Windows to Linux, have you?
>
> Dumbass:
>
> The pushing and pulling are done by the OSes and their features.
>
> Platform-specific apps create resistance to the pushing and pulling.
> They are balls and chains so to speak.
>
> Cross-platform apps remove resistance to the pushing and pulling.
>
> Think you can understand that?

Yes.  But I disagree.  Only rarely does removing the resistance have any
effect.  Why?  Familiarity pulls the average consumer /back/ to Windows.
The "OSes and their features" are essentially an invisible background to the
average consumer.  Change that background, make it visible, and many users
get oddly nervous.

As Hadron likes to vaunt, many of the most popular open apps run on Windows.
Given that, the familiarity of Windows is /all/ that is needed to keep the
user on Windows.

And, in fact, there's an incredible resistance to change in most users even
in the face of highly annoying problems with Windows.

I'm not making this stuff up -- I experience it directly with friends and
family.  And, quite frankly, I was highly resistant myself to this idea, and
it took many events of getting it rubbed in my face to acknowledge it.

--
You mentioned your name as if I should recognize it, but beyond the
obvious facts that you are a bachelor, a solicitor, a freemason, and