[News] Company Gets a Monpoly on "Hotspot Access", System Going Out of Control

Boingo awarded patent for hotspot access

,----[ Quote ]
| Boingo Wireless has been awarded a patent covering the method and apparatus
| for accessing networks through a mobile device (patent No. 7,483,984).
`----

http://www.muniwireless.com/2009/06/23/boingo-awarded-patent-for-hotspot-access/

If You're An East Texas Company, Are You Now More Prone To Patent Infringement
Lawsuits?

,----[ Quote ]
| First it was a trademark fight over potatoes, and now lettuce? Eric Goldman
| points us to a trademark fight over the use of the word "Lettuce" in the name
| of a restaurant. You see, there's a restaurant chain called Lettuce Entertain
| You Enterprises, who apparently got the trademark on "LETTUCE" when used in
| restaurant or catering businesses.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090624/0331105347.shtml

UK customs procedures and the burden of proof

,----[ Quote ]
| The IPKat urges his British readers to take careful note of this sudden
| shift, for their own sakes and for the sake of their consumers. Merpel
| wonders why HMRC is spelling 'trade mark' as 'trademark'. Is this a major
| policy shift in terms of traditional British spelling, or merely the result
| of its eagerness to save time when sending important letters by omitting the
| spaces between words?
`----

http://ipkitten.blogspot.com/2009/06/uk-customs-procedures-and-burden-of.html

Recent:

IAM exclusive - Brimelow to quit as EPO President

,----[ Quote ]
| Alison Brimelow will not seek reappointment as President of the European
| Patent Office when her current term expires at the end of June 2010, it was
| announced today. Rainer Osterwalder, Director of Media Relations at the EPO,
| told IAM this afternoon: "Yes, I can confirm that Alison Brimelow has
| informed the EPO staff today that she will not seek an extension of her
| contract which ends on 30 June 2010."
`----

http://www.iam-magazine.com/Blog/Detail.aspx?g=c54c7e9c-28e0-42cf-9e10-389812ad3e60

Software patents plot buried under amicus avalanche

,----[ Quote ]
| The EPO's latest attempt to validate their widely criticized practice of
| software patenting has been met with a much stronger response than expected.
| This broad public interest comes in reaction to the referral on the
| patentability of software to the Enlarged Board of Appeal. The referral
| procedure allows interested third parties to file statements - Amicus Curiae
| Briefs - to present their views to the members of the board. The Enlarged
| Board of Appeals asked for such statements to be submitted by end of April
| and a total of 89 such statements have been published by the Register so far.
`----

http://press.ffii.org/Press_releases/Software_patents_plot_buried_under_amicus_avalanche

European Patent Office refuses spanish amicus brief against software patents

,----[ Quote ]
| Alberto Barrionuevo, CEO of the small spanish software company OpenTIA and
| ex-president of the FFII, had submitted an amicus brief to the Enlarged Board
| of Appeal in spanish. The European Patent Office has notified him that they
| are refusing his letter because it was not written in one of the 3 official
| languages of the EPO.
`----

http://stopsoftwarepatents.org/forum/t-160633/european-patent-office-refuses-spanish-amicus-brief-against-software-patents

The Pirate Party