[News] Many Big Triumphs for Open Access

Open Access and the A-Bomb

,----[ Quote ]
| Importantly, by putting their papers into arXiv physicists ensure that they
| are freely available to anyone who wishes to access them – assuming they have
| an Internet connection – regardless of whether they or their institution has
| a subscription to the journal in which the paper is published. Indeed, some
| papers in arXiv are never published in a journal at all.

Book Publisher Eksmo Acquires Online Ebook Store LitRes

Article: It’s our data

,----[ Quote ]
| The 700,000 pages of scanned images put online in pdf were described by Sir
| Stuart Bell as a ‘great achievement’ for Parliament. And I suppose it is if
| you’re used to inscribing your words on animal skins.

Five minutes of your time to help us: take part in UK PubMed Central images

,----[ Quote ]
| The British Library project team, which manages development activities for
| UKPMC, and is specifically tasked with identifying additional, hard to find
| content to add to UKPMC, is keen to understand what types of images
| researchers would find useful for potential inclusion in the repository.

Finding a fair price for free knowledge

,----[ Quote ]
| TEN years ago, a piece of software called Napster taught us that scarcity is
| no longer a law of nature. The physics of our universe would allow everyone
| with access to a networked computer to enjoy, for free, every song, every
| film, every book, every piece of research, every computer program, every last
| thing that could be made out of digital ones and zeros. The question became
| not, will nature allow it, but will our legal and economic system ever allow
| it?

No Raw Data on Recovery.gov. Significant Failure

,----[ Quote ]
| Speaking for the coalition, Gary Bass, OMB Watch’s director and CAR’s
| co-chair, applauded the significant transparency steps OMB has taken in
| certain key respects. However, much data from the recipients of Recovery Act
| funds will not be collected or disclosed according the the new guidelines.

ScenicOrNot raw data now available for re-use

,----[ Quote ]
| It’s available under the Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial 3
| Licence, and we greatly look forward to seeing what people do with it.

Elsevier Does a Microsoft with Open Access

,----[ Quote ]
| I've seen these kind of stories so many times in the world of open source,
| with Microsoft as the main protagonist, that they warm the cockles of my
| heart when I see them popping up in other areas like open access. Why?
| Because if a multi-billion pound company like Elsevier is starting to stoop
| to this kind of tactic, it demonstrates just how profoundly worried it is -
| and how close open access is to widespread acceptance.

Elsevier Reveals More Details About Its Fake Journal Division

,----[ Quote ]
| Remember how Elsevier and Merck were caught putting out a fake journal that
| had articles favoring Merck drugs, implying peer reviewed articles that
| weren't? Soon afterwards, it came out that Elsevier had a whole division for
| such things. However, following an internal investigation, it looks like
| Elsevier is backtracking a bit and saying that, while the group's practices
| were problematic, most weren't as egregious as the "Australasian Journal of
| Bone and Joint Medicine (AJBJM)" that was created by Merck and Elsevier.

Elsevier Had A Whole Division Publishing Fake Medical Journals

,----[ Quote ]
| Remember a week ago when we wrote about pharma giant Merck and publishing
| giant Elsevier working together to publish a fake journal that talked up
| various Merck drugs and was used by doctors to show that the drugs were safe
| and useful?

No bottom to worse at Elsevier?

,----[ Quote ]
| The latest development, though, strikes me as something that should be
| shouted from every available rooftop: Elsevier simply must answer the
| questions raised.
| Via Dorothea: Jonathan Rochkind has done a little "forensic librarianship"
| and raised astonishing questions about the entire imprint, Excerpta Medica,
| which published the fake journal that started all of this.
| Go read Jonathan, but the bottom line is this: Excerpta Medica does not
| provide a straightforward list of its own publications or make clear which
| are, ahem, "industry-sponsored".

Another Reason We Need Open Access

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the more laughable reasons that traditional science publishers cite in
| their attempts to rubbish open access is that it's somehow not so rigorous
| as "their" kind of publishing. There's usually a hint that standards might be
| dropped, and that open access journals aren't, well, you know, quite proper.

Merck Makes Phony Peer-Review Journal

,----[ Quote ]
| It is this attitude within companies like Merck and among doctors that allows
| scandals precisely like this to happen. While the scandals with Merck and
| Vioxx are particularly egregious, we know they are not isolated incidents.
| This one is just particularly so. If physicians would not lend their names or
| pens to these efforts, and publishers would not offer their presses, these
| publications could not exist. What doctors would have as available data would
| be peer-reviewed research and what pharmaceutical companies produce from
| their marketing departments--actual advertisements.

Merck And Elsevier Exposed For Creating Fake Peer Review Journal

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course, this is exactly the sort of thing that you can do when everything
| is locked up and proprietary, rather than open. There's almost no way to
| confirm or check the data or information to make sure it's legit, so people
| tend to assume it is. In that regard, perhaps it's no surprise that the two
| companies eventually went down this road, but it does highlight one of the
| problems with the way the system works today. As Shirky later points out this
| is hardly unique for a firm like Elsevier, which has faced some serious
| ethical questions regarding its publications in the past as well.

The serials crisis has a name, and it's Reed Elsevier.

,----[ Quote ]
| Mind you, I don't mean to imply that we should launch another boycott;
| reigning in Elsevier's profit margins and/or market share would do little to
| offset the serials crisis. The only answer to that, in the long term, is Open
| Access, because it scales where Toll access doesn't. No, this entry is not
| really about OA at all, it's just a little kick in the shins for my favorite
| Greedy Bastard Publishers.

Elsevier steals, then copyrights other people's free stuff

,----[ Quote ]