[News] Linux Powers Storage and HPC

Linux-Powered Enterprise Storage: Openfiler

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source software is hardly a new concept, but it has only recently begun
| to make significant inroads into the world of enterprise data storage, where
| the big name proprietary vendors have (at least until now) had the advantage.
|
| But as the open source community has grown and code has matured, with Linux
| taking root in more and more enterprises large and small, storage vendors,
| including big names like Sun Microsystems, have been developing open source
| networked storage solutions.
|
| One network storage software vendor, Openfiler, never needed to be convinced
| of the benefits of offering enterprises an open source network storage
| operating system.
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/6781/1/

HPC cluster maker sets x64 chips a-fighting

,----[ Quote ]
| Corder used the same power supply, hard drive, and operating system -
| unspecified, but almost certainly Linux - and says that the amount of memory
| on the machines was different because of the different memory speeds possible
| with each chip and the different numbers of memory channels that each chip
| architecture supports: the Xeons have three channels per socket that run
| faster than the two channels per socket of the Opterons, so Corder reckoned
| that to even it out the latter should get a little more memory.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/25/act_super_duke_out/

Recent:

GNU/Linux Tops TOP500 Supercomputers Again

,----[ Quote ]
| The fact that GNU/Linux totally dominates the top 500 supercomputing list is
| hardly news, but the fact that it has managed to *increase* its market share
| yet further is.
|
| Here are the results for June 2009:
|

|     GNU/Linux 443 (88.6%)
|     Windows 5 (1.0%)
|     Unix 22 (4.4%)
|

| and here are the figures for six months ago:
|

|     GNU/Linux 439 (87.8%)
|     Windows 5 (1.0%)
|     Unix 23 (4.6%)
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/06/gnulinux-tops-top500-supercomputer.html

Linux shows staying power on Top500

,----[ Quote ]
| The latest list indicates growing Linux dominance. Linux is used in the top
| nine supercomputer systems in the world. When considered as the primary OS or
| part of a mixed-OS supersystem, Linux is now present in 469 of the
| supercomputer sites, 93.8% of the Top500 list.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2008/11/25/linux-shows-staying-power-on-top500/

Why is Linux THE FASTEST operating system today?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/locutus/why-is-linux-the-fastest-operating-system-today-28534