[News] [Rival] The Mono Diseases Pushed Further Into Ubuntu by Microsofters

Ubuntu may increase Mono-dependent apps

,----[ Quote ]
| The next release of the popular Ubuntu GNU/Linux distribution may include a
| third Mono-dependent application by default, a spokesman for Canonical, the
| parent company for Ubuntu, told iTWire today.
|
| [...]
|
| According to information available elsewhere, there has also been a proposal
| for the Ubuntu live CD to remove the well-known image manipulation program,
| Gimp, with the reasoning apparently beign that F-Spot can handle what the
| Gimp does.
|
| [...]
|
| Red Hat's community Linux distribution, Fedora, recently decided to jettison
| Mono altogether from its default install, and replace Tomboy with Gnote.
| There are fears in many sections of the FOSS community that Mono may prove to
| be a patent trap down the line as .NET is totally Microsoft technology.
|
| While some claim that it is possible to obtain a royalty-free, reasonable and
| non-discriminatory licence for the use of Microsoft patents which may be part
| of Mono, in reality, it is extremely difficult to even find out how one can
| do so.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/25900/1231/

When a Microsofter [1] runs your operations, then Microsoft poison [2] is only
to be expected.

Microsoft and FOSS: Uneasy Bedfellows

,----[ Quote ]
| There was some inconclusive discussion about patents. While Hodge showed us a
| list of technologies which form the Microsoft Open Specification - there is a
| promise not to sue if these are used - he, understandably, could not offer
| any clues on the licensing of patents in Mono , for example.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/25904/1231/

There may be a third Mono application in Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| But Ubuntu's inclusion of Mono is not necessarily assured. Fedora, the free
| desktop version put out by Red Hat, recently dumped Mono from its default
| install and replace Tomboy with Gnote.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1406088/there-mono-application-ubuntu

How to Securely Manage All Your Passwords

,----[ Quote ]
| As a Mac user, I received two main recommendations. The first was a free,
| open-source program that security pros like called KeePass, which was built
| for Windows but is available for Mac, Linux and BSD if you also download the
| open-source software platform Mono.
`----

http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/24/how-to-securely-manage-all-your-passwords/

Some notes on Fedora and Mono

,----[ Quote ]
| As the maintainer of Gnote in Fedora, I think I should add a few
| clarifications and correct some factual inaccuracies in your podcast.
| In about 1:20 hrs,  Bryan adds a comment that Gnote cannot import Tomboy
| notes. This is completely incorrect.  Gnote and Tomboy use the same file
| format and Gnote in 0.5 version even has a plugin to import Tomboy notes
| on the first run.  It would have been trivial to verify this for yourself.
|
| On the size issue - Tomboy and F-Spot has been default in Fedora for
| quite sometime.  However from Fedora 10 onwards, it hasn't been in the
| *Live CD* because of space constraints and none of the Mono apps would
| be installed by default if you install via the Live CD.  Since Gnote is
| written in C++ and the dependencies related to that including the gtkmm
| packages were already in the Live CD due to other applications,
| including Gnote by default in the Live CD is more easier. Installation
| via DVD images doesn't have the same constraints and can have a
| different set of defaults. The release notes draft for Fedora 12 Beta
| published early, already has all this information
`----

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-marketing-list/2009-June/msg00158.html

Ubuntu Mono-tabanlı uygulamaları çoğaltacak.

http://www.linuxmasasi.com/ubuntu-mono-tabanli-uygulamalari-artiracak/

"Gates' gimmick of becoming a philantropist repeats the Rockefeller scam almost
one to one a century later."

                -- http://www.whale.to/a/gates1.html
                Dark cloud over good works of Gates Foundation

____
[1] http://www.linkedin.com/in/rickspencer3

,----[ Quote ]
| # Lead Program Manager at Microsoft
| # User Experience Manager at Microsoft
|
| [...]
|
|  Usability Engineer, Usability Manager
| Microsoft
|
| (Public Company; 10,001 or more employees; MSFT; Computer Software industry)
|
| March 1998 — May 2005 (7 years 3 months)
|
| Usability engineer, and later usability manager, for Microsoft's Visual
| Studio family of products. Lead user centered design efforts across the suite
| of of developer tools.
`----

[2] The elusive, royalty-free patent licence for Mono

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/25215/1090/