[News] Consumer Groups and Researchers Fight Intellectual Insanity, Greed

Consumer groups around the world demand transparency on secret copyright treaty

,----[ Quote ]
| Glyn sez, "The Anti Counterfeiting Trade Agreement [ed: a secret, non-UN
| treaty that rich countries are cooking up that will criminalize copyright
| infringement, sending non-commercial file-sharers to prison; authorize border
| guards to search your hard-drive and personal electronics for copyright
| infringements; and require governments to give media giants the power to
| decide who should and shouldn't have Internet access, without having to prove
| anything in a court of law] has been making its way in secret for some time,
| a coalition of consumer groups have now demanded that the text of the
| directive be made public..."
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/06/23/consumer-groups-arou.html

South Africa Considers Potentially Requiring Patents On Publicly Funded
Research

,----[ Quote ]
| I missed this story from a few weeks ago, but one of our readers, going by
| the name of bikey, alerts us to a proposal in South Africa, that would
| potentially require patents on certain publicly funded research. While this
| seems totally backwards for any number of reasons (and many of us believe
| that publicly funded research should be available to the public since they
| paid for it), apparently some are concerned that "foreign multinationals"
| might "misappropriate" the research.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090625/0316045359.shtml

Recent:

TACD Fights ACTA on "IPRs"

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the frustrating aspects about the Anti-Counterfeit Trade Agreement
| (ACTA) is that it is a cosy club of rich and powerful nations plus a few of
| their equally rich and powerful chums in select industry. Meanwhile, hoi
| polloi - that's you and me - don't get a look in, even though we are the most
| affected.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/06/tacd-fights-acta-on-iprs.html

The ACTA draft treaty is covering patent infringement

,----[ Quote ]
| Wikileaks has published some drafts of the secret ACTA treaty, which aims to
| give better guns to Patent Trolls. The draft mentions that it covers all the
| rights covered by TRIPS, so it will cover also patents.
`----

http://www.digitalmajority.org/forum/t-147082/the-acta-draft-treaty-is-covering-patent-infringement

Goodbye WIPO, Hello ACTA?

,----[ Quote ]
| What is really remarkable about this is that Greve can even be asking WIPO to
| consider free software and open standards: a few years ago, such a thing
| would have amounted to blasphemy.
|  Sadly, there is another sign that WIPO is becoming more accommodating to the
|  ideas behind free software: the fact that there seems to be a move to come
|  up with an alternative forum for promoting intellectual monopolies where it
|  will not be so easy to participate.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2101&blogid=14

New ACTA copyright treaty dodges the UN, poor countries and activists

,----[ Quote ]
| Michael Geist sez, "The World Intellectual Property Organization may be best
| known for the Internet treaties that led to the DMCA, but in recent years
| groups like EFF, KEI, and Public Knowledge has helped to open things up and
| move toward a Development Agenda that better balances international
| intellectual property policy. That progress may be threatened by the
| Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement, which officials now acknowledge is
| designed to exclude WIPO, developing countries, and NGOs."
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/04/14/new-acta-copyright-t.html

Leaked ACTA Draft: More Power to the RIAA

,----[ Quote ]
| A recent draft of the controversial Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement
| (ACTA) surfaced on Wikileaks this weekend. Among other things, the draft aims
| to strengthen the power and rights of the entertainment industry and other
| copyright holders, by letting them choose how they want to be compensated for
| copyright infringements.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/leaked-acta-draft-more-power-to-the-riaa-090414/

Classified US, Japan and EU ACTA trade agreement drafts, 2009

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://wikileaks.org/wiki/Classified_US%2C_Japan_and_EU_ACTA_trade_agreement_drafts%2C_2009