[News] Sarkozy Attacks People's Rights, Spain and Norway Defend Them, MAFIAA Attacks Irish ISPs

  • Subject: [News] Sarkozy Attacks People's Rights, Spain and Norway Defend Them, MAFIAA Attacks Irish ISPs
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 09:07:57 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Sarkozy Says He Will “Go All The Way” With 3 Strikes

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday from the Palace of Versailles, Nicolas Sarkozy became the first
| president to address Parliament in 150 years. He took the opportunity to show
| his determination over the proposed HADOPI legislation, promising that he
| will “go all the way” to enforce law on the Internet.
| Sarkozy’s address yesterday was made possible by the annulment of a law
| prohibiting a sitting president from addressing lawmakers. The last time an
| address of this type occurred was 1848, in Napoleon’s day.

Three Strikes Rejected In Spain

,----[ Quote ]
| It seems like the recording industry's grand plan to get ISPs to be their
| copyright police isn't getting very far. Consumer and legal backlash around
| the world seems to have stopped it cold. The latest is in Spain, where the
| entire concept of a three strikes regime has been taken off the table.

Norway Decides Privacy Is More Important Than Protecting The Entertainment
Industry's Business Model

,----[ Quote ]
| It appears that Norway has decided that it's sick of passing laws designed to
| prop up obsolete industry business models at the expense of individual
| privacy. First, the country started telling ISPs to delete log files after
| just three weeks (making it pretty hard to identify individual filesharers),
| and now it's refused to renew the license given to the one law firm allowed
| to sniff IP addresses in trying to seek out unauthorized file sharing.

Record biz tries suing Irish ISPs into submission

,----[ Quote ]
| The major labels want to see Irish ISPs adopt a "three strikes" policy toward
| repeat online copyright infringers, and they've decided that suing the ISPs
| is a good way to make it happen.

Anti-Piracy Lawyers Lose License To Chase Pirates

,----[ Quote ]
| Just days after Norway’s data protection department told ISPs they must
| delete all personal IP address-related data three weeks after collection,
| it’s now become safer than ever to be a file-sharer in Norway. The only law
| firm with a license to track pirates has just seen it expire and it won’t be
| renewed.
| Earlier this month we reported that since Norway’s Personal Data act
| prohibits the storage of unnecessary data, ISPs in the country must delete
| all IP address-related personal information they hold on their customers
| which is more than three weeks old. This makes it very hard in most cases to
| track down illicit file-sharers.

HADOPI Copyright Law To Get New Set Of Teeth With Additional Law

,----[ Quote ]
| The Sarkozy government will implement a law aimed at promoting legal online
| downloading in the coming months despite being prevented from cutting off the
| internet access of alleged three-time offenders, according to official
| sources. Meanwhile, the government has already begun preparing a new law that
| would restore penalties this time decided by a judge rather than by the newly
| created HADOPI commission. This would conform to a constitutional ruling on
| the HADOPI law.

New Zealand tries to revive 3 strikes law

,----[ Quote ]
| The New Zealand government is still working hard — on behalf of the corporate
| movie and music cartels. And at taxpayer expense.
| It’s trying to find another way to implement the now thoroughly sullied Three
| Strikes plan, the fact French efforts have just been shot down in flames
| notwithstanding.

Second chance for French net bill

,----[ Quote ]
| A controversial French bill which could disconnect people caught downloading
| music illegally three times returns to parliament on Wednesday for debate.

Hadopi : l'UMP, parti pirate !

As Sarkozy Pushes Three Strikes, He Pays Up For His Own Copyright Violations

,----[ Quote ]
| Now, you might hope that this would cause Sarkozy to rethink his stance on
| copyright infringement. Instead, it looks like his political party has simply
| agreed to pay up and make the issue go away, while still pushing for the
| three strikes law. It sounds like they paid about 30,000 euros, which is a
| lot more than the single euro that Sarkozy's party initially offered (yes,
| seriously). No word on whether or not this counts towards the number of
| strikes on Sarkozy's internet connection.

Political Hypocrisy: French President Sued for Copyright Infringement

,----[ Quote ]
| This may very well become the most ironic stories of 2009 in the copyright
| debate. The CBC is reporting that French president Nicolas Sarkozy has been
| sued by an independent band for copyright infringement.

Is Nicholas Sarkozy One Strike Towards Losing His Internet Connection?

,----[ Quote ]
| The latest is that French President, Nicholas Sarkozy, a big supporter of
| setting up a three strikes law in France, is being accused of violating
| copyright law himself.

British Government Violates Copyright

,----[ Quote ]
| As much as I utterly despise the entire premise of Intellectual Monopoly,
| this is about violating the principles of a Free License, and if it's good
| enough for the British government to violate our civil rights in the name of
| Intellectual Monopoly, then it's good enough for the Free World to protect
| its "property" (in fact Freedom) too…

UK government stole website theme

,----[ Quote ]