Re: Microsoft Admits "Embracing and Extending" (Comes vs. Microsoft - exhibit plex_5906)

  • Subject: Re: Microsoft Admits "Embracing and Extending" (Comes vs. Microsoft - exhibit plex_5906)
  • From: Homer <usenet@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 23:28:12 +0100
  • Cancel-lock: sha1:6tXSLP9XrDyc+V2e4VDdEwbL9oA=
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

> Erik Stevenson (LCA)
[...]
> There are three possible ways to address the threat of the Java
> platform. One is to do nothing and gradually die as others innovate
> around us.

I don't suppose it ever occurred to Microsoft to just /innovate/ right
along with everyone else, using the same tools and technology. Why would
they think that'd make them "die"?

> The second is to join the parade of people who are saying "let's kill
> Microsoft and share their market among us”

Well he missed the rather important point, that the /reason/ people were
(and still are) saying "let's kill Microsoft" has more to do with
Microsoft's unilaterally aggressive behaviour, and others' defence
against those attacks, than those others simply looking to "kill
Microsoft" for money.

> - good for everyone else, but reducing us to the much smaller role of
> a common software company like Lotus or Borland or even Symantec.

Oh the humanity!

To be ... just another company, instead of a monopoly!

So Microsoft define "die" as "lose dominance".

Interesting.

What a bunch of goons.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "The shepherd drives the wolf from the sheep's throat, for which
| the sheep thanks the shepherd as his liberator, while the wolf
| denounces him for the same act, as the destroyer of liberty.
| Plainly the sheep and the wolf are not agreed upon a definition of
| the word liberty; and precisely the same difference prevails today
| among human creatures." ~ Abraham Lincoln
`----

Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.26.8-57.fc8
 23:27:54 up 28 days,  3:25,  4 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.03, 0.00