[News] [Rival] Microsoft Goes Further Than Abramoff Scam (Visas) and Shafts Americans

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Goes Further Than Abramoff Scam (Visas) and Shafts Americans
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 00:12:03 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Bill gives in-state tuition to foreign professionals, families in Washington on
visa

,----[ Quote ]
| The measure passed amid a roiling budget crisis and hundreds of millions of
| dollars in cutbacks to higher education. It was nicknamed the "Microsoft
| subsidy bill" by some lawmakers who say the software giant and its workers
| surely could afford to pay the higher tuition rates.
`----

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2009366983_tuition22m.html

'Microsoft subsidy bill' lowers tuition for visa holders

http://blog.seattlepi.com/microsoft/archives/171914.asp?source=rss

Will in Seattle: "So if my brother, an American citizen by birth, moves here
from Cali he has to wait three years for him and his daughters to get in-state
tuition - but an H1-B visa holder from India gets in-state tuition in one
year?

"Sorry, that is just plain WRONG."

Reply says: "Will, the whole H-1B program is wrong. This is just the latest
wrinkle."

Anonymous: "I say down with Microsoft. They are the real evil empire. They
produce poor software, have bloated management and since they can't compete
with real companies, they have to hope for hand outs from taxpayers to pay for
college tuition for people who will be replacing our citizens with cheaper
labor. I thought the Banks were bad but Microsoft takes the cake. They already
take advantage of tax loopholes to hide tax revenue overseas and they expect
people in the state of Washington to kiss their butts. I don't see Google,
Boeing, or Paccar benefiting anywhere what Microsoft is getting."

Microsoft is treason.

Recent:

GE, Microsoft, Caterpillar fight Obama tax plan

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. (NASDAQ:MSFT) and Caterpillar Inc. (NYSE:CAT) have seen their
| bottom lines bulge over the years by farming out work for cheaper
| compensation to overseas countries. Now, with the U.S. economy reeling,
| President Obama's $190 billion tax proposal that ends incentives for American
| companies to create employment overseas while hoping to create more jobs in
| America won't necessarily have the intended impact, according to economists,
| businesses and some Obama insiders, Bloomberg reports.
`----

http://www.thedeal.com/dealscape/2009/05/obama_tax_plan_could_collatera.php

Microsoft debt offering raises questions about plans for funds

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft, which has historically avoided borrowing money, this morning took
| the next step in its previously announced plan to raise funds through a
| public debt offering. The company made the move in a preliminary prospectus
| filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
`----

http://www.techflash.com/microsoft/Microsoft_debt_offering_raises_questions_about_plans_for_funds_44725857.html

How Obama's tax reforms could impact Microsoft's bottom line

,----[ Quote ]
| The debate hinges on policies that let companies with international
| operations avoid higher U.S. tax rates by reinvesting their foreign earnings
| overseas. The Obama administration last Monday detailed its plan to put a
| damper on that practice.
|
| "Currently, businesses that invest overseas can take immediate deductions on
| their U.S. tax returns for expenses supporting their overseas investments but
| nevertheless 'defer' paying U.S. taxes on the profits they make from those
| investments," the White House said in a May 4 briefing document. "As a
| result, U.S. taxpayer dollars are used to provide a significant tax advantage
| to companies who invest overseas relative to those who invest and create jobs
| at home."
`----

http://www.techflash.com/microsoft/How_Obamas_tax_plan_could_impact_Microsofts_bottom_line_44679452.html

Microsoft subsidiary has €477m pretax profit

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Ireland Operations Ltd (MIOL) had turnover of €11.3 billion and
| paid corporation tax of €63.5 million according to accounts just lodged with
| the Companies Office and seen by The Irish Times.
`----

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2009/0429/1224245596231.html

Microsoft Ireland slashes US dividend as profits rise

,----[ Quote ]
| The dividend payment is roughly half the almost €3bn the Irish subsidiary
| remitted to the US headquarters in the financial year ended June 2006.
`----

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/microsoft-ireland-slashes-us-dividend-as-profits-rise-1364208.html

Microsoft in tax evasion soup

,----[ Quote ]
| Software major Microsoft Corp’s Indian subsidiary has been issued a
| show-cause notice for non-payment of service tax worth Rs 127 crore. The tax
| has been claimed on services offered to Microsoft Singapore by way of
| marketing support.
`----

http://infotech.indiatimes.com/Microsoft_in_tax_evasion_soup/rssarticleshow/2977840.cms

Tax benefit helped Microsoft's 3Q earnings

,----[ Quote ]
| Turns out Microsoft and Uncle Sam have been going back through the company's
| books from 2000 to 2003. Not knowing how that would end up, Microsoft
| had "over accrued" its tax provision in past quarters, said Colleen Healy,
| general manager of investor relations. With the review settled, the company
| was able to reduce that provision.
`----

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2004377713_btdownload28.html

Microsoft Leads in Lobbying Largesse

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is leading the tech industry’s charge up Capitol Hill, according to
| statistics released Monday.
|
| The world's largest software company spent $9 million on lobbyists to make
| its case in issues including taxes and trade, according to statistics
|                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| compiled by the Center for Responsive Politics.
`----

http://www.redherring.com/Home/24187

Related:

Wis. Bill to Require Tax Loophole Data

,----[ Quote ]
| Wisconsin Bill Would Require More Reporting on Tax Loopholes
|
| [...]
|
| A message left with Microsoft was not immediately returned.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/071219/wi_corporate_taxes.html?.v=4

Microsoft says to borrow money for Yahoo deal

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp said on Monday it may borrow money for the first time in its
| history to fund a portion of its $44.6 billion unsolicited offer for Yahoo
| Inc.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/companyNews/idUSN0455692920080205

Bill Gates: Rich Individuals Should Pay More Tax, Wealthy Corporations Less?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://seekingalpha.com/article/65465-bill-gates-rich-individuals-should-pay-more-tax-wealthy-corporations-less?source=yahoo

,----[ Quote ]
| My background is finance and accounting....
|
| However, the Gates Buffet foundation grant is nothing more than a shell
| game in which control of assets for both Gates and Buffet remain the same.
|
| THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THAT THE ACCUMULATION OF WEALTH BY THESE TWO WILL BE
| MUCH MORE MASSIVE BECAUSE THEY WILL NO LONGER HAVE TO PAY ANY TAXES.
`----

http://www.mail-archive.com/futurew...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg03323.html

Microsoft EULA lands it with $175m Indian tax headache

,----[ Quote ]
| Basing its ruling on the terms of Microsoft's own EULA (end-user license
| agreement), an Indian court has ordered the company to pay tax on royalty
| income generated in the country, Tax India Online (TIOL) reports.
|
| [...]
|
| “Unacceptable tax avoidance typically involved the creation of complex
| artificial structures by which, as though by the wave of a magic wand, the
| tax payer conjures out of the air a loss, or a gain, or expenditure, or
| whatever it may be, which otherwise would never have existed. These
| structures are designed to achieve an adventitious tax benefit for the
| taxpayer, and in truth are no more than raids on the public funds at the
| expense of the general body of taxpayers, and as such are unacceptable.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/03/31/microsoft_india_tax_ruling/

Cheers not jeers to Speaker Chopp on the Microsoft tax concession

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.crosscut.com/business-technology/12933/Cheers+not+jeers+to+Speaker+Chopp+on+the+Microsoft+tax+concession/