[News] OpenOffice.org Shows Redesign Process, Provides Arabic Support

Design Proposal Collection, Lessons Learned

,----[ Quote ]
| So what can be concluded now that the Design Proposal Collection is over?
| After looking at the individual feedback we got during the proposal
| collection and thereafter, it seems to have worked well. The weakest points
| seem to be the schedule and some parts of the documentation.
`----

http://uxopenofficeorg.blogspot.com/2009/06/design-proposal-collection-lessons.html

Sun launches StarOffice 9 in Arabic

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun Microsystems has once again reinforced its commitment to the region with
| the introduction of its Arabic version of StarOffice 9.
`----

http://www.ameinfo.com/201451.html

Recent:

OpenOffice gets anti-aliasing, better commenting

,----[ Quote ]
| The biggest change is that graphics viewed in OpenOffice are now
| anti-aliased, meaning graphics will appear smoother, especially when you
| place one shape over another. It's kind of surprising that OpenOffice hasn't
| supported this until now. File-locking has been improved, so if you're using
| the suite for cross-platform document sharing you should notice fewer
| glitches.
`----

http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-10240419-12.html

OpenOffice.org wiki overwhelmed in UI search

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday Project Renaissance, OpenOffice.org's search for a new UI
| direction, opened for comments on the fifteen proposals currently submitted.
| Unfortunately, a posting on Slashdot meant that over 40,000 accesses happened
| in a short time, taking down the wiki.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/OpenOffice-org-wiki-overwhelmed-in-UI-search--/news/113282

Open Source Alternatives to Popular Software

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the first things you are probably wondering about is the open source
| alternative to Microsoft Office. No worry needed here—OpenOffice.org (OOo)
| has been around for many years as a feasible substitution for just about any
| operating system. It includes Writer for word processing, Calc for
| spreadsheets, Impress for presentations, Draw for illustrating, and Base for
| databases.
`----

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1339472

OpenOffice.org 3.1: The next generation

,----[ Quote ]
| The latest version of the open-source office suite OpenOffice.org 3.1 has
| just arrived, and it's a good one. While some of the improvements are visible
| to the naked eye, I found that the most important changes were hidden under
| the hood.
|
| What is it? OpenOffice.org 3.1 is a set of office productivity applications:
| Writer (word processor), Calc (spreadsheet), Impress (presentation manager)
| and Base (database manager). It's missing an Outlook substitute, but
| otherwise it's a complete replacement for Microsoft Office. The suite is
| available as a free download for Linux, Mac OS X, Solaris, and Windows; there
| are versions for most major languages.
|
| [...]
|
| Final verdict: I've been using OpenOffice.org for years now. With these
| performance and appearance improvements, I can see more users moving to this
| free office suite. In particular, I think anyone who does spreadsheets every
| day owes it to themselves to compare Calc and Excel. You'll be impressed.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9132829

OpenOffice package for public administration published in EU open source portal

,----[ Quote ]
| The OpenOffice open source package for central and local government agencies
| published last year by the Ministry of Finance and the Association of Finnish
| Local and Regional Authorities has released a new software version. The
| software package is distributed in a new way too. It can be downloaded in the
| EU open source portal at Osor.eu.
`----

http://www.pressi.com/pressrelease/detail.do?pressId=24570&type=thisweek&searchKey=2578e7e9-3e06-11de-8728-5f8188d48a4a&languageId=all&pageIndex=1
http://tinyurl.com/rate6a

OpenOffice 3.1 ready to lick Microsoft's suite?

,----[ Quote ]
| The answer for many is OpenOffice.org, which has - after several push-backs -
| just released version 3.1. And the good news is that OpenOffice 3.1 meets the
| most important criterion of any software upgrade: It's considerably snappier
| than its predecessor.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/11/openoffice_3_dot_1_review/

Fresh Wind at Work: OpenOffice 3.1

,----[ Quote ]
| Cute but astute: the new minor version of OpenOffice can do more than ever,
| such as cast shadows, position chart axes and provide structured
| conversations through comments.
`----

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/online/news/fresh_wind_at_work_openoffice_3_1

Why Do I Use OpenOffice?

,----[ Quote ]
| In addition, using OpenDocument Format as the default file format helps
| future-proof my documents. After the current producers of “office software”
| all move on to something else, will you have the right to create a program to
| read and manipulate your data in the formats it was saved in? Will you be
| forced to buy a license from someone? Or perhaps be required to use a
| particular operating system?
`----

http://lnxwalt.wordpress.com/2009/05/07/why-do-i-use-openoffice/

OpenOffice.org 3.1 arrives, improves user interface

,----[ Quote ]
| The first major release of the 3.0 series of open source office suite
| OpenOffice.org, version 3.1, is now available with big improvements in
| usability and the user interface.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/302542/openoffice_org_3_1_arrives_improves_user_interface?rid=-219

OpenOffice.org 3.1: Looking Sharp

,----[ Quote ]
| The updated free office software suite includes more than 20 major changes to
| its five core applications. Perhaps the most striking new feature, however,
| is its use of anti-aliasing to render sharper charts, line art, and other
| graphical elements.
`----

http://www.bmighty.com/blog/main/archives/2009/05/openofficeorg_3_2.html

OpenOffice 3.1 Gets a Makeover

,----[ Quote ]
| With 60 million downloads of its last version, open source office software
| aims to look better.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/software/article.php/3819351

OpenOffice 3.1: The new features

,----[ Quote ]
| Compared to its predecessors, OpenOffice 3.1 offers a whole range of new
| features. Instant eye catchers are the improved anti-aliasing for graphics,
| better chart functionality, and the new text highlighting in Writer. However,
| inconspicuous new features like custom document property fields and the
| OpenOffice User Feedback Program are just as interesting.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/OpenOffice-3-1-The-new-features--/features/113234

OpenOffice 3.1 officially arrives

,----[ Quote ]
| After making its appearance on various mirrors, OpenOffice 3.1 has now
| officially been released.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/137470

Change Impress to improve all of OOo

,----[ Quote ]
| If a proposed new concept works for Impress (that means that it stands up to
| the tests and usability evaluations in the prototyping phase of Project
| Renaissance) then that concept will be adopted for ALL of the office suite!
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/change_impress_to_improve_all

New Chart features in OpenOffice.org 3.1

,----[ Quote ]
| Interested in the new Chart features that will be available in OOo 3.1? Have
| a look...
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/new_chart_features_in_openoffice1

Making menus a little nicer

,----[ Quote ]
| So now that code freeze for 3.1 is almost upon us, work for 3.2 begins. As a
| first little step I looked through some old issues and noticed Issues 42227
| and 48965 which I must admit went a little under in the load of my intray.
| The problem described in there is basically an aesthetic one: currently menus
| reserve two "columns" for checkmarks and item images, because menu items can
| be checked as well as have an image and both should be reflected of course in
| the display. But this creates a large area where most of the time nothing
| appears on the left of the menu, making the menu look clunkier than
| necessary.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/making_menus_a_little_nicer

New Features in OpenOffice.org 3.1, an Early Look

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.oooninja.com/2009/01/openofficeorg-31-new-features.html