[News] New Political Forces Fight Intellectual Monopolies

If you’re in Europe, VOTE !!!

,----[ Quote ]
| Public documents in open formats
| Greens want public documents to be written and conserved in an open format,
| in order to keep public administrations independent from software publishers
| and patent holders and ensure document accessibility to all citizens,
| independent of which software he or she uses.
`----

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/22785

Green Party on ‘copyright problems’

,----[ Quote ]
| European Patent Office (EPO)
| Greens want EPO to become a Community Institution, accountable to the
| Commission and the EP. The EPO shall be publically funded, in order to
| discourage their practice of issuing high numbers of patents in order to
| secure EPO financing, which is detrimental to the quality of patents. Greens
| propose that 5% of the renewal fees of patents are transferred to an
| independent research and innovation fund.
`----

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/22527

The lawyers are IAM are not too happy

Anti-patent group wins in European Parliament election

,----[ Quote ]
| "The Pirate Party wants to fundamentally reform copyright law, get rid of the
| patent system, and ensure that citizens' rights to privacy are respected."
| And as of today, the Pirate Party is represented in the European Parliament,
| having secured just over 7% of the votes in Sweden in the European elections
| held over the last few days across the EU.
`----

http://www.iam-magazine.com/blog/Detail.aspx?g=abe34824-b73c-4277-98d8-0142aa2109db

Dailykos:

Pirates win election in Sweden

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/6/8/739985/-Pirates-win-election-in-Sweden

‘Let your customers infringe trolls’ patents’

,----[ Quote ]
| In it, “Newspapers are elephants in a desert of their own making, desperately
| wandering from watering hole to watering hole, but the revenue flowing from
| each tributary of their 18th century monopoly on the sale of copies is drying
| up,” says Crosbie, adding:
|
| “Neither fencing off the copies nor reinforcing the monopoly will help. Their
| business model faces absolute drought. So they collect, not to commit
| suicide, but to assemble their graveyard.
|
| [...]
|
| then i realized, i was an artist, and all the articles on ars, /., techdirt
| and here reminded me of patent trolls, copyright propoganda, ad nauseum.
`----

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/22836

Recent:

Can Scraping Non-Infringing Content Become Copyright Infringement... Because Of
How Scrapers Work?

,----[ Quote ]
| Earlier this year, we couldn't figure out how Facebook's lawsuit against
| Power.com made any sense. Power.com tried to aggregate various social
| networking accounts in a single place, so you could manage them all at once
| through a single interface. Yet Facebook charged the company with all sorts
| of complaints, including copyright and trademark infringement, unlawful
| competition and violation of the computer fraud and abuse act.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090605/2228205147.shtml

What do the EU results and Pirate Party mean for digital rights?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/2009/06/what-do-the-eu-results-and-pirate-party-mean-for-digital-rights/