[News] USPTO Operates a Scam for Cheap Labour?

USPTO recruiting unpaid examiners

,----[ Quote ]
| The FFII’s Gauss project actually has been used occasionally in a similar way
| to argue against certain patents, like against one of the MS Open XML
| European patent applications:
|
| An interesting question is if the EPO would give this submittant a gold star?
|
| The core of the quality problem was already addressed by Tim O’Reilly and
| Jeff Bezos with their BountyQuest venture. The reason it failed is the basis
| for the FFII’s examination reform proposal.
|
| In BountyQuest the examination fee was not paid by the polluter but by
| volunteering victims. It requires that one victim stands up and pays up on
| behalf of the public. All the other victims benefit as free-riders.
|
| The FFII proposal shows how the incentives would need to be set straight
| if “peer2patent” examination is to work:
|
|     Privatize Examination, Make Bad Patenters Pay
|
|     The system of obligatory patent examination should be replaced by a
|     system where patents are registered free of charge on the Internet, and
|     examination is performed by private parties who, when they find an
|     invalid patent claim, are entitled to charge an examination fee from the
|     patentee
|
| The European Patent Office has taken interest in the Gauss project and is
| preparing to build a similar wiki-based system.
`----

http://eupat.ffii.org/07/03/uspto05/

"[zoobab] USPTO President recruiting unpaid examiners:
http://eupat.ffii.org/07/03/uspto05/ "

The next USPTO Director & the Peer-to-Patent experiment

,----[ Quote ]
| Obama has chosen Patent Attorney David Kappos to be the next Undersecretary
| Of Commerce For Intellectual Property And Director Of The U.S. Patent And
| Trademark Office (USPTO).  Here is an article related to a US-National Public
| Radio interview with Kappos
| (http://cairns.typepad.com/peertopatent/2007/08/david-kappos-on.html) that
| gives a good introduction as to why we should be excited.
`----

http://casipblog.wordpress.com/2009/06/19/uspto-the-next-director-and-the-peer-to-patent-experiment/

"[zoobab] The Peer to Patent project aims to recruit unpaid examiners to
legitimate software patents and business method patents: http://bit.ly/jouBC "

Recent:

Has the US patent system gone too far?

,----[ Quote ]
| When Samuel Hopkins came up with a method for improving the production of
| potash, it was probably just the kind of invention that President George
| Washington had in mind when he created the US patent system. Hopkins, who in
| 1790 received the first American patent ever issued, had discovered a way to
| increase the production of a critical resource used to make glass, soap, and
| soil fertilizer.
`----

http://features.csmonitor.com/innovation/2009/03/12/has-the-us-patent-system-gone-too-far/

Backlog At The Copyright Office Highlights Massive Problem With The System

,----[ Quote ]
| As you hopefully know, you don't need to register to get a copyright these
| days (and haven't since 1976), but you can still register, and need to do so
| if you want to sue someone else for damages. So, professional creators still
| register copyright on pretty much everything they do -- though the process is
| still a bit unclear even to the experts. At the recent copyright conference
| at Santa Clara University, one of the more amusing moments was when someone
| asked about registering blog posts and how that could/should be done -- and a
| bunch of the world's foremost experts in copyright law (including multiple
| representatives from the Copyright Office) effectively threw up their hands
| and said they had no clue what actually needed to be registered and how. It
| resulted in a lot of rather awkward laughter from folks in the room.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090520/0151534942.shtml

Intellectual Monopolies Kill: Two Examples

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/05/intellectual-monopolies-kill-two.html