[News] Exploration of Distributions of GNU/Linux Other Than Ubuntu

Ubuntu's A Fading Memory, PCLinuxOS and 64 Studio Are Fab. So Far.

,----[ Quote ]
| These performance differences are so large I may have to make time to
| investigate why. These PCs are all different: AMD Sempron and Athlon, SATA
| 3.0, 1-2GB RAM, ATI and NVidia, and the Thinkpad is an Intel Core Duo with
| 1GB RAM and Intel video. The video and wireless drivers are all supported by
| genuine FOSS drivers in the kernel; no extra fuss required. I shop carefully
| and select well-supported components because I surely do hate
| diagnosis-and-fixit drama.
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/6782/1/

Comparing MEPIS 8 and Ubuntu 9.04

,----[ Quote ]
| I first tweeted about Ubutu 9.04 a week ago. Now I know I’m not exactly
| comparing apples with apples, since MEPIS 8 is based on Debian 5.0 and uses
| KDE 3.5, whilst Ubuntu 9.04 uses GNOME 2. I might be better off evaluating
| Kubuntu, the 9.04 release uses KDE 4, which I’d used previously, and disliked
| due to its (apparent) gradual reduction in speed.
|
| [...]
|
| I’ve no issues with Synaptic, as it is used to manage packages in both MEPIS
| and Ubuntu.
|
| I loved to use Dropbox and Meld in Ubuntu, so much that I was probably
| willing to accept the differences between kate/gedit, konsole/terminal,
| katapult/do.
|
| What was frustrating to me was to develop halfway, and then have to wait for
| the system to return control of the UI to me, and if not reboot.
|
| The overall score is MEPIS 3, Ubuntu 1.5. This scoreline is obviously
| subjective, but you’ve heard all the good things about Ubuntu, have a
| slow(er) laptop, please do consider MEPIS. Both MEPIS and Ubuntu support
| audio/wireless networking flawlessly, unlike (cough, cough) Debian.
|
| At this point, I really don’t see the benefits of using Ubuntu (mostly due to
| its speed/stability issues) over MEPIS, so yeah, I’m a fan.
`----

http://waynekhan.com/blog/2009/06/comparing-mepis-8-and-ubuntu-9-04/

Recent:

Canonical to Certify Ubuntu 9.04 Server Edition on HP ProLiant G6

,----[ Quote ]
| Canonical, the commercial sponsor of the Ubuntu Linux project, is expected to
| announce a collaboration with Hewlett-Packard to deliver an additional
| high-performance server configuration for Ubuntu users.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Linux-and-Open-Source/Canonical-to-Certify-Ubuntu-904-Server-Edition-on-HP-ProLiant-G6-191072/

HP Captures No. 1 Position in Worldwide Server Shipments and Revenue for First
Quarter of 2008

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://dmnnewswire.digitalmedianet.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=401602