Re: [News] Existing Copyright Law Seen as Detrimental

____/ wispygalaxy on Friday 19 June 2009 19:38 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Yet Another Study Shows That Weaker Copyright Benefits Everyone
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Economists Felix Oberholzer-Gee and Koleman Strumpf have written some
>> | previous papers on this subject, but they've just come out with a new
>> | working paper on how weaker copyright protection benefits society (pdf
>> | file). Michael Geist has an excellent overview and summary of the paper.
>> | To understand the key points made by the paper, you need to understand
>> | the purpose of copyright -- something that many people are confused
>> | about. It's always been about creating incentives to create new works.
>> `----
>>
>> http://techdirt.com/articles/20090617/1138185267.shtml
>
> Of course!  People can build on the works of others (this is not stealing!)

With ideas and art it can only be copying, never stealing.

> and release new creations for others to enjoy.  Why do some
> creators/artists get offended when other people want to use their work?
> Don't jump to conclusions- maybe they *don't* want to profit off your work.
> Perhaps they feel inspired by you and want to use what you created!  :)
>
>> 750,000 lost jobs? The dodgy digits behind the war on piracy
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | First, the estimate of 750,000 jobs lost. (Is that supposed to be per
>> | year? A cumulative total over some undefined span? Those who cite the
>> | figure seldom say.) Customs is most often given as the source for this,
>> | and indeed, you can find press releases from as recently as 2002 giving
>> | that figure as a U.S. Customs and Border Patrol estimate. Eureka! But
>> | when we contacted CBP to determine how they had arrived at that imposing
>> | figure, we were informed that it was, in essence, a goof. The figure,
>> | Customs assured us, came from somewhere else, and was mistakenly
>> | described as the agency's own. This should come as no great surprise:
>> | CBP is an enforcement agency, whereas calculating the total loss of jobs
>> | from IP infringement would require some terrifyingly complex
>> | counterfactual modeling by trained economists. Similar claims have
>> | appeared in Customs releases dating back at least to 1993, but a CBP
>> | spokesperson assured us that the agency has never been in the business
>> | of developing such estimates in-house.
>> `----
>>
>> arstechnica.com/articles/culture/dodgy-digits-behind-the-war-on-piracy.ars
>
> It's so obvious- the industry is pushing around scary numbers to intimidate
> people.  It does not matter to them where the figures come from, as long as
> they are big... :(

They also compare file sharers to pirates from Somalia. Practically.

>> Harvard professor challenges RIAA anti-piracy campaign
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | A Harvard law professor has opened a new front in the battle between the
>> | Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) and alleged music
>> | pirates by challenging the constitutionality of a statute being used by
>> | the industry group to bring lawsuits against alleged copyright
>> | violators.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=537633690&rid=-50
>
> Oops!  This link does not take me to the article, Roy.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Syntactic sugar causes cancer of the semicolon. -- Alan Perlis
Tasks: 140 total,   1 running, 139 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie