Re: GNU/Linux Boots Faster Than Its Competition

  • Subject: Re: GNU/Linux Boots Faster Than Its Competition
  • From: nessuno <nessuno7491@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 01:09:30 -0700 (PDT)
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

> Still a minute faster
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Back in March, I compared the load times for Windows XP and Fedora 10 on
> | different hardware, and found that Linux booted about a minute faster. The
> | fact that I had to run the test on different hardware was because I have to
> | run Windows on my work laptop, but my wife happily runs Linux on her laptop
> | at home. But it was still interesting that Linux booted faster on much older
> | hardware (2005: IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T43, Intel Centrino CPU @ 1.86 GHz, 512MB
> | memory) compared to the newer laptop running Windows (2008: Dell Latitude
> | D430, Intel Core2 CPU @ 1.20GHz, 2GB memory).
> `----
>
> http://linuxinexile.blogspot.com/2009/06/still-minute-faster.html
>
> What is the best Linux distribution for beginners
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | To conclude I would say this: the easiest Linux distribution to install and
> | use for beginners is Linux Mint, however if you want professional support or
> | commercial applications the best Linux distribution for a beginner is Ubuntu.
> | If you want an easy install "just to try Linux" you should use Linux Mint.
> `----
>
> http://windows2linux.tech-no-media.com/2009/06/what-is-best-linux-dis...
>
> Recent:
>
> GRUB 2: the New Boot Loader in Ubuntu 9.10
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | UDS (Ubuntu Developer Summit) for Karmic Koala took place this year, between
> | the 25th and 29th of May, in Barcelona, Spain. There were 270 blueprints that
> | needed to be discussed during the summit, like the new professional look of
> | Plymouth (an application that takes care of the graphical boot animation) for
> | Karmic Koala, which will not become reality very soon. However, some of the
> | ideas discussed at UDS will be implemented in the next version of the Ubuntu
> | operating system, due for release in late October 2009. One of these was
> | the "grub2-as-default" discussion, and Colin Watson had the pleasure to
> | announce last night that GRUB 2 would definitely be the default boot loader
> | in Ubuntu 9.10.
> `----
>
> http://news.softpedia.com/news/GRUB-2-The-New-Boot-Loader-in-Ubuntu-9...
>
> GRUB2 To Be Used By Default In Ubuntu 9.10
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Starting with Ubuntu 9.10 (and beginning with tomorrow's daily CD builds),
> | GRUB2 will be the default boot-loader on new Ubuntu installations. GRUB2 will
> | bring internationalization support, support for newer systems, and many other
> | improvements considering this GNU boot-loader has been in development for a
> | number of years.
> `----
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzMxMg
>
> Explaining Ubuntu's 10 Second Boot Time
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Canonical's Scott James Remnant has now outlined more on their plans for the
> [...]

I just installed Ubuntu 9.04 on a relatively new HP machine that came
with Vista.  I wiped Vista.  The installation took maybe 20 minutes,
plus another hour or so setting up all the software like I like it.
Connection to a printer via LAN worked flawlessly.   Easiest
installation I've ever done.

More to the point of your post, the new installation boots amazingly
fast.  I haven't timed it, but I'd estimate 20-30 seconds.  Another
installation I did recently, Ubuntu 8.04 on a Dell Dimension 2000
series, boots in about 1 minute 15 seconds.