Re: [News] [Rival] Apple and Microsoft Abuse Their Monopolies

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 01:02:26 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Microsoft cries foul over Google Outlookware
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | If you install Google's new Redmond-battling Outlook plug-in, it |
> automatically disables Microsoft's Windows desktop search service. And |
> Microsoft is peeved.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | "When a Google Apps user installs the sync plugin for Outlook, the
> plugin | modifies a registry key which disables Windows Desktop Search
> from indexing | and providing search functionality for all Outlook data,
> not just the Outlook | data being synchronized from GMail. Because
> Outlook search relies upon the | indexing performed by Windows Desktop
> Search, Outlook search functions are | broken as a result," Microsoft's
> blog post reads. `----
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/17/
microsoft_whines_over_google_outlook_plugin/

Isn't this the same sort of behavior that Microsoft has been guilty of in
the past? At the moment, Google can't set market prices, and they
haven't, to my knowledge, tried to bar entry to market, much less
actually barring entry. Still... "do no evil"... Hmm?

> Apple Warns Palm Pre Users: We're Going To Break Your iTunes Syncing
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Apple, however, has responded with a neat little message that never
> actually | mentions Palm, even if it's entirely transparent who it's
> about, warning | people that Apple can easily break syncing when it
> updates its software. Of | course, Apple did it in a way that it can
> claim wasn't meant nefariously at | all. All the company really meant
> was to make people understand that it has | no control over how the Pre
> syncs with iTunes, and it's possible that an | update could break that
> syncing. Sure. Right. Except most people assume this | means Apple
> intends to break it.
> `----
>
> http://techdirt.com/articles/20090617/0311145264.shtml

Fix for this... don't use iTunes. Maybe if people want iTunes so badly,
they should stick with an iPhone. Besides, there's always Amazon and
WalMart.
(snip)

--
Rick