[News] The ACTA Corruption (Hollywood Writes Its Own Laws to Pass) Led to Lawsuit

  • Subject: [News] The ACTA Corruption (Hollywood Writes Its Own Laws to Pass) Led to Lawsuit
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 00:50:07 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

EFF and Public Knowledge Reluctantly Drop Lawsuit for Information About ACTA

,----[ Quote ]
| The Obama Administration's decision to support Bush-era concealment policies
| has forced the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) and Public Knowledge (PK)
| to drop their lawsuit about the proposed Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement
| (ACTA).  EFF and PK had been seeking important documents about the secret
| intellectual property enforcement treaty that has broad implications for
| global privacy and innovation.
|
| Federal judges have very little discretion to overrule Executive Branch
| decisions to classify information on "national security" grounds, and the
| Obama Administration has recently informed the court that it intends to
| defend the classification claims originally made by the Bush Administration.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2009-06-17-025-35-PR-LL

BT Heavily Throttling BBC, All Video

,----[ Quote ]
| Significant error in this story: BT's terms of service explicitly say that
| streaming video will be throttled to 896K on Option 1 (about 1,000 words in)
| I was therefore wrong to say this was a change that would allow breaking
| contracts. I relied on another reporters' comments rather than reading the
| actual BT posting. Thanks to Simon Dux of BT for the facts that showed my
| error.
`----

http://fastnetnews.com/dslprime/42-d/1758-bt-heavily-throttling-bbc-all-video

Yesterday:

BT Throttling Online Video For Competitive, Not Congestion, Reasons

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090612/1805215218.shtml