[News] Aussie-Style Orwell[ian]ism Comes to Germany

Is Germany Following Australia Down The Slippery Slope Of Internet Censorship?

,----[ Quote ]
| Via Slashdot we learn that Germany is the latest country to consider a
| censorship regime that would create a blacklist of sites that ISPs would be
| required to block. As with most such things, the official claim is that this
| would be to block out child porn. Of course, this is a head-in-the-sand
| approach to fighting child porn. It's about trying to pretend it's not there,
| rather than tracking down those actually responsible
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090616/1646145259.shtml

The Dawning of Internet Censorship in Germany

,----[ Quote ]
| Germany is on the verge of censoring its Internet: The government – a grand
| coalition between the German social democrats and conservative party – seems
| united in its decision: On Thursday the parliament is to vote on the erection
| of an internet censorship architecture.
`----

http://netzpolitik.org/2009/the-dawning-of-internet-censorship-in-germany/

Germany poised to impose police-run block list

,----[ Quote ]
| Germany’s main political parties have agreed the text of legislation designed
| to enshrine the blocking of selected internet sites in law.
|
| Critics of the plan insist that take down would be more effective – and
| express concerns that however well-intentioned a block list, it would forever
| be open to abuse by the state.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/17/german_block_list/

Recent:

Government official wants to bring Three Strikes to Germany

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.p2p-blog.com/item-1064.html