[News] MAFIAA Struggles in Fighting the Internet

Who's afraid of a digital world? The World Copyright Summit

,----[ Quote ]
| The world's rightsholders gathered in Washington this week to discuss
| copyright in all its variegated glory, but the event was essentially about
| one topic: how do we survive in a digital world?
`----

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/06/whos-afraid-of-a-digital-world-the-world-copyright-summit.ars

Stern letters from ISPs not enough to stop P2P use after all

,----[ Quote ]
| A new UK survey finds that only one-third of P2P file-sharers would change
| their behavior after receiving a warning letter alone. If ISP disconnection
| remains on the table, that number jumps to 80 percent.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/06/stern-letters-from-isps-not-enough-to-stop-p2p-use-after-all.ars

Jammie Thomas suffers pretrial setback in copyright case

,----[ Quote ]
| A federal judge dealt a serious blow to Jammie Thomas' defense on Thursday.
|
| U.S. District Court Judge Michael Davis will allow evidence gathered by
| MediaSentry, a security firm that once investigated illegal file sharing on
| behalf of the music industry, to be heard by a jury in Thomas' retrial,
| scheduled for Monday. Thomas is the first person sued by the recording
| industry for copyright violations to have her case argued before a jury. She
| was found guilty in October 2007 of illegally sharing 24 digital-music files.
| The judge in the case declared a mistrial after acknowledging he erred in
| giving jury instructions.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10262894-93.html

How The Recording Industry Changes Its Own Story

,----[ Quote ]
| We've already discussed how silly the Performance Rights Act is -- and how
| it's basically an attempt by the record labels to get their own bailout
| courtesy of radio stations. There are all sorts of problems with it, and Jess
| Walker does an amazing job explaining just how ridiculous the Performance
| Rights Act is. In doing so, he highlights one point that is quite a common
| trick in the RIAA's bag of tricks, but which doesn't get enough attention:
| how it changes the story to flip things around to its advantage over and over
| and over again.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090614/2223175228.shtml

Recent:

Kiwi wants RIAA MediaSentry evidence suppressed

,----[ Quote ]
| RIAA victim Jammie Thomas’ new lawyer, Kiwi K.A.D. Camara, has taken the bull
| by the horns, demanding all MediaSentry evidence be suppressed.
`----

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/22644

ISPs ignore RIAA call

,----[ Quote ]
| IT LOOKS like the big music cartel's claim that ISPs were working with them
| to shut down Internet filesharing was premature and overstated.
|
| At the end of last year the RIAA admitted it's practice of threatening to
| drag old ladies and children into court unless they paid it shedloads of
| money on somewhat dubious evidence wasn't working out. Instead it said it
| would be working with ISPs that would shut the 'pirates' down.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1184508/isps-ignore-riaa

Studios Urge ISP to Admit Piracy, Stop Wasting Court’s Time

,----[ Quote ]
| Several studios are currently engaged in legal action against Australian ISP
| iiNet. They accuse iiNet of failing to take steps to stop its subscribers
| from sharing files by disconnecting them from the Internet. Now anti-piracy
| group AFACT says iiNet should just admit its customers are pirates, and stop
| wasting the court’s time.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/studios-urge-isp-to-admit-piracy-stop-wasting-courts-time-090518/

Harvard prof tells judge that P2P filesharing is "fair use"

,----[ Quote ]
| Harvard Law professor Charles Nesson is headed to federal court this summer
| to defend an accused file-swapper, and he plans to mount a novel defense: P2P
| sharing is simply "fair use."
`----

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/05/harvard-prof-tells-judge-that-p2p-filesharing-is-fair-use.ars

Net firms reject 'policing role'

,----[ Quote ]
| Internet service providers (ISPs) have rejected calls for them to police the
| net and cut off users who repeatedly file-share material unlawfully.
|
| The umbrella group that represents ISPs said disconnecting users would be
| a "disproportionate response".

Music industry's Irish ISP shakedown letter leaked

,----[ Quote ]
| An internet hosting company has published a copy of the nasty-gram Ireland's
| music industry lawyers bulk-mailed to that country's internet service
| providers, demanding they begin blocking access to any website accused of
| piracy or else.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/25/irma_letter_to_isps_blacknight_solutions/

British Government Violates Copyright

,----[ Quote ]
| As much as I utterly despise the entire premise of Intellectual Monopoly,
| this is about violating the principles of a Free License, and if it's good
| enough for the British government to violate our civil rights in the name of
| Intellectual Monopoly, then it's good enough for the Free World to protect
| its "property" (in fact Freedom) too…
`----

http://slated.org/british_government_violates_copyright

UK government stole website theme

,----[ Quote ]
| NUMBER 10, the UK Prime Minister's website, is apparently built using a
| design it nicked.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/18/uk-government-stole-website

Eircom to block Pirate Bay

,----[ Quote ]
| In a letter sent to ISPs across the country last week, the Irish Recorded
| Music Association (IRMA) disclosed the deal and warned others to follow suit
| or face legal action.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/23/irma_demands_irish_isps_block_access_to_piracy_sites/

Irish ISP Eircom in 'three strike' filesharer crackdown

,----[ Quote ]
| Eircom had argued it was under no obligation to monitor the content of
| traffic over its network.
|
| The music labels originally wanted the court to order Eircom to install
| software from a US firm to detect copyrighted music files sent over its
| network. The ISP objected, saying the software could breach its customer's
| privacy.
|
| Instead, Eircom settled for the increasingly-familiar
| three-strikes "graduated response" program. The first time a subscriber's IP
| is detected infringing copyright, a warning is sent out. The second time, the
| subscriber is cautioned that they will be disconnected. Number three is the
| big disconnect.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/03/eircom_agrees_to_three_strikes_enforcement/

ISP Capitulates to IFPI, Agrees to Disconnect Pirates

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/isp-capitulates-to-ifpi-agrees-to-disconnect-pirates-090128/