[News] Linux Gadget Gets [H]omer Voiceover

Homer Simpson speaks out on satnavs

,----[ Quote ]
| Evergreen Terrace’s most famous resident – no, not Ned Flanders – has finally
| officially found his way onto a satnav.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/06/16/tomtom_homer/

Recent:

Microsoft Vs. TomTom: Beating A Dead Horse

,----[ Quote ]
| So in the short term, Microsoft didn't gain very much by picking on TomTom.
| And in the long term, the company's decision to sue could explode in its
| face.
|
| TomTom may have stepped aside, but some much bigger and better-funded
| open-source players are now stepping up to the plate. The Open Invention
| Network, for example, is already pondering a counterattack that could include
| legal action designed to invalidate Microsoft's FAT patent.
`----

http://www.bmighty.com/blog/main/archives/2009/04/microsoft_vs_to.html

TomTom & Microsoft each file notices of dismissal "without prejudice"

,----[ Quote ]
| Two notices of dismissal have been filed with the courts -- Microsoft's in
| Washington State, and TomTom's in Virginia, each dismissed without prejudice,
| ending both patent litigations. "Without prejudice" means that either could
| ramp it up and do this some more in the future, should circumstances arise
| that made it necessary. But in most cases, it means the litigation, or
| whatever, is over. Remember when SCO withdrew "without prejudice" its
| emergency motion to sell its assets, or Novell's assets, depending on your
| point of view? We never saw that again, did we, despite it being
| withdrawn "without prejudice".

Analysis: Microsoft-TomTom settlement is end of a battle, not the war

,----[ Quote ]
| The Software Freedom Law Center, an organization focused on protecting
| open-source and free software, said in a statement that the "settlement
| between Microsoft and TomTom ends one phase of the community's response to
| Microsoft patent aggression and begins another. On the basis of the
| information we have, we have no reason to believe that TomTom's settlement
| agreement with Microsoft violates the license on the kernel, Linux, or any
| other free software used in its products. The settlement neither implies that
| Microsoft patents are valid nor that TomTom's products were or are
| infringing."
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9130832

TomTom - "Settled, But Not Over Yet" says SFLC

,----[ Quote ]