Re: Roy Schestowitz the cheap leach.....

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 23:12:35 -0400, Hans Lister wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 20:38:43 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 19:05:38 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
>>
>>> It's clearly against the TOS of most ISP's. Why?
>>> What's to prevent a person from signing up for an ISP for $19.99 per
>>> month and then running their own service allowing other users to ssh
>>> in but only charging them $10.00 a piece.
>>
>> Umm.. you need an ISP to be able to SSH into their system (short of
>> being close enough to glom onto their wireless, but then you wouldn't
>> need to ssh).
>
> Mark Kent has the legit ISP.
> He allows others to ssh into his machine to use HIS ISP connection.
>
>>> It's like climbing up the pole and splicing into your neighbor's CATV
>>> setup so you can get free cable.
>>
>> Not really.
> Technically no, because the person, Mark Kent, in this case allows it.
> Same effect from the ISP's POV though. IOW lost revenue.
>
>> This is purely Roy trying to hide his origination and to use Demon's
>> nntp server.
>
> I disagree.
> It's Roy Schestowitz, amongst others, sponging off another Linux
> advocate so he doesn't have to pay for an Internet connection.
>
> The method is not the point, the fact that Roy is using another person's
> connection *is* the point.
>
> Suppose I gave you my ip address and created an account for you under my
> ISP and let you post via proxy from my machine. Is that allowed by my
> ISP?
>
> I can tell you it's not.
> Why?
> They want to sell you a connection.

How is Roy supposed to make use of an IP address without having an
Internet connection of his own already?     He'd have to be on the LAN of
the connection he's sharing, and that certainly does not require every
user on the LAN to have their own Internet connection!

You guys are so eager to find a reason to bad mouth Roy you're making
fools of yourselves in the process!