[News] Xandros Called a "Microsoft Stooge"

Is Xandros a Linux distro, a marketing machine or a Microsoft stooge?

,----[ Quote ]
| Xandros President Michael Bego told DesktopLinux.com that Xandros would
| announce at the coming LinuxWorld conference a complete desktop solution
| aimed specifically at low-powered PCs, making it “a practical solution for
| machines which have no hope of running resource-hungry Microsoft products.”
|
| While such a statement proclaims a chief achievement of Linux, namely its
| ability to effectively and efficiently run modern software on low-powered
| hardware, it is surprising and telling by today’s standards that Bego did not
| also claim Xandros would be a viable alternative to Microsoft Windows on
| contemporary hardware.
|
| It was not known then but Xandros was soon to become central to one of the
| greatest farces in Linux history, known as LindowsOS.
|
| [...]
|
| These objectives are good and right. Yet, has Xandros gone too far, becoming
| a proprietary system of its own? Is Microsoft actually waging a war against
| Linux through cross-collaboration agreements by diluting the message of open
| source software and software freedom? Is Xandros an example of a fragmented
| Linux community?
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/25661/1231/

http://www.xandros.com/products/ip_assurance_na.html

“Now you have the option to acquire Xandros Desktop offerings together with
Microsoft patent assurance. This assurance enables you to use Xandros Desktop
software with confidence. This program is available for $50. Learn more by
reading Microsoft’s covenant.”

Related:

Memo to Xandros CEO: you're better off selling potatoes

,----[ Quote ]
| It's amusing to note that a man becomes a recognisable public
| figure only after he's signed a deal that could well mean the
| demise of his company. Strange indeed are the ways of
| mega-corporations.
|
| [...]
|
| Incredibly, a patent cross-licensing deal was signed without
| once discussing patents. Now how could anyone imagine that
| people would talk about patents when they were signing
| such a deal? Silly me!
`----

http://www.itwire.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12770&Itemid=1091
http://tinyurl.com/3bk78y

Xandros to Provide Enhanced Interoperability Between Standardized XML Document
Formats

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxlookup.com/2007/jun/21/xandros_to_provide_enhanced_interoperability_between_standardized_xml_document_formats