[News] [Rival] Microsoft Uses the Competition's Product and Spreads It

Microsoft's Bing Uses Adobe's Flash for Video

,----[ Quote ]
| Though Microsoft would have the world switch to its Silverlight competitor to
| Adobe's Flash technology for playing video on Web pages, the OS giant's own
| new search competitor to Google sticks with Adobe technology for one of its
| coolest features. Bing can play a video preview from right within the
| thumbnails on video search result pages, but to implement this, Microsoft has
| chosen to use Flash.

Google CEO: “It’s not the first entry for Microsoft, They do this about once a
year. From Bing’s perspective, they have a bunch of new ideas and there are
some things that are missing. We think search is about comprehensiveness,
freshness, scale and size for what we do. It’s difficult for them to copy
that.”

Related:

Microsoft's Silverlight Disappoints

,----[ Quote ]
| I shake off the dissapointment and continue up the trail
`----

http://www.simplifiedchaos.com/2007/05/15/12/

Lights out for Silverlight

,----[ Quote ]
| The next point is the availability of the tools. Even though you can
| view Silverlight on OS X, you will have no chance of being able to
| author Silverlight content without a Windows licence. This is a
| conscious decision. On the one hand, Microsoft wants to get
| designers using their Expression toolset yet designers will have
| to come across to the Windows platform in order to do it. It may
| not be such a large hurdle but it is a hurdle nevertheless. Ever
| tried to force an OS X user onto Windows? They cry, they scream
| and they want their (at times) consistent GUI back.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Lights-out-for-Silverlight/0,130061733,339278334,00.htm
http://tinyurl.com/27jpuv

Linux to Microsoft: Let's Fight with Silverlight

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has spent the past few years trumpeting their "you are
| using patented code" with zero proof or real legal action, this
| is their ace in the hole. If Microsoft does manage to make sure
| that this Silverlight becomes the new standard for media rich web
| browsing, we are in real trouble.
`----

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2547&Itemid=449

Microsoft's Silverlight Biased and Doomed

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is undoubtedly making progress in the browser and operating
| system platform struggle, but since their new Web technology can't be
| viewed and created by everyone, they still have a long way to go.
`----

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2545&Itemid=449

Why Microsoft Silverlight Will Fail.

,----[ Quote ]
| My main reasons (And please, correct me if I am wrong):
|
|     * No IDE for me - The development path is currently platform
|       specific to Windows. Not even an open compiler or server side
|       compiler for Linux is available. Use Expression Blend on my
|       Mac? Not happening.
|
|     * No plug in for Linux - Even Adobe has managed to deliver it's
|       modern plugin to Linux users. I only use Linux as a server
|       platform, but with Ubuntu, etc making inroads on the desktop,
|       it's nice to have it as an option.

http://visualrinse.com/2007/04/16/why-microsoft-silverlight-will-fail/

Microsoft's Silverlight and Adobe's Apollo: Web-Killer 2.0

,----[ Quote ]
| Now some may be wondering why so many people, myself included, have such
| violent negative reactions to these attempts to improve the user experience
| of the World Wide Web. After all, I wrote a report at Forrester about seven
| years ago called the X Internet that claimed that the Web needed to be more
| interactive. So what's wrong with a extensions and developer tools to make
| it all easier? Well, other than attempting to sidestep important
| collaborative efforts like World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) and the Web
| Standards Project, these proprietary browser extensions break the utility
| of the World Wide Web in important ways.
|
| [...]
|
| It's nice to know that despite changes in interfaces and software
| technology, Microsoft's strategy for the Internet hasn't changed.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070507/34657_id.html?.v=19

Audience abandons Microsoft's MIX 07 keynote

,----[ Quote ]
| He said that when Microsoft and other companies create communities
| around their technology, it's usually accidental, not created by
| any ad placed strategically on a web page or in a game.
|
| "The Xbox community existed, but the Microsoft ads [in games and
| on Xbox Live] then got moved around quite by accident, not by
| design," Rasala said. "It's unclear that many companies can
| replicate that pattern by design."
|
| After Bach's keynote, it was difficult to find attendees in
| the hall that did not work for Microsoft. Nine out of 10
| attendees approached for comment after his talk were from
| the company.
`----

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=9217

Silverlight is about The Microsoft Web.

,----[ Quote ]
| Sorry, but I have to say something very rude. You clearly don't know
| what you're talking about. That is Microsoft PR talking. Can you say
| "credibility loss".
|
| Silverlight is about The Microsoft Web
|
| Silverlight is not about the World Wide Web. It's about The Microsoft
| Web. It's about getting fools to rally around Microsoft. After all of
| this time and experience with Microsoft, anybody with half a brain
| will be smart enough to avoid doing that. The last thing you want to
| be is dependent on Microsoft and set yourself up to be a DIRECT
| competitor with "Microsoft Cloud Services" down the road. Dumb.
| Foolish. Stupid. Smart investors won't invest one dime in your
| company and might even short your stock.
|
| Remember, it's Microsoft's cloud. Microsoft is not investing in
| huge datacenters all around the world for no reason. And, Microsoft
| will do whatever it takes, including operating that new online
| services business at a huge loss, to starve off any smaller
| competitor that foolishly chose to develop on the Silverlight
| platform. Microsoft sold $44 BILLION and cleared $18 BILLION
| profit last year. How many billions did you make last year?
`----

http://talkback.zdnet.com/5208-11406-0.html?forumID=1&threadID=33334&messageID=613757

Microsoft's Silverlight Promises to Disrupt Linux Web Users

,----[ Quote ]
| Just as it seemed that Linux users (especially 64-bit users) would
| finally be able to enjoy streaming content with a minimum of
| hassle, Microsoft's new Silverlight software promises to throw a
| wrench in the works. Because of sites like Google Video and
| Youtube, Flash video has become a common means of streaming
| multimedia over the Internet.

Microsoft's 'Everywhere' excludes Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| This browser add-on enables rendering of WPF content, but
| "Everywhere" doesn't include Linux.

ECIS Accuses Microsoft of Plotting HTML Hijack

,----[ Quote ]
| An industry coalition that has represented competitors of Microsoft
| in European markets before the European Commission stepped up its
| public relations offensive this morning, this time accusing
| Microsoft of scheming to upset HTML's place in the fabric of
| the Internet with XAML, an XML-based layout lexicon for
| network applications.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/ECIS_Accuses_Microsoft_of_Plotting_HTML_Hijack/1169824569

Software rivals say Microsoft's Vista illegal in Europe (at CNNMoney.com)

,----[ Excerpt ]

`----

http://money.cnn.com/2007/01/26/news/international/bc.vista.microsoft.eu.reut/index.htm?source=yahoo_quote

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/2000/PX02991.pdf

Vista to give HD Photo format more exposure

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.com.com/Vista+to+give+HD+Photo+format+more+exposure/2100-1045_3-6153730.html