[News] DNS Gets New Free Software to Run It

BIND 10 Set to Update DNS

,----[ Quote ]
| A decade after work first began on version 9 of BIND, the widely deployed
| open source DNS (define) server, work is now fully underway on its successor,
| BIND 10.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/infra/article.php/3824651/

Recent:

Register.com suffers DNS problems

,----[ Quote ]
| The gossip on Twitter suggested that the company's name servers were the
| target of aDDOS attack, though this hasn't been confirmed.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/634/1051634/register-com-suffers-dns

Register.com suffers further DOS attack

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/638/1051638/register-com-suffers-dos-attack

Conficker is a lesson for MPs – especially over ID cards

,----[ Quote ]
| A trio of news pieces for you. The Conficker worm has got into the Houses of
| Parliament's network and infected computers there. MPs have been told, in a
| written answer, that use by them of PGP, the commercial encryption system,
| is "not recommended" on the parliamentary network because it is "not
| compatible" with its current VPN (virtual private network). And, as I write,
| the database of MPs' expenses is being hawked around to newspapers, for a
| high price.
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/apr/02/conficker-parliament-security-charles-arthur

OpenDNS rolls out Conficker tracking, blocking

,----[ Quote ]
| With an estimated 10 million PCs infected by the stealthy worm known as
| Conficker, it's a good bet that plenty of administrators are blissfully
| unaware that their networks are playing host to the pest. Now, a free service
| called OpenDNS is offering a new feature designed to alert administrators to
| the damage and help them contain it.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/07/opendns_conficker_protection/

DNS Patches Slow Servers, but Fast Action Is Advised

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft issued a mea culpa about its DNS update on July 17, saying that the
| patch was crippling some machines running its Windows Small Business Server
| suite. Then, on July 25, it said the patch could also affect some network
| services on systems running Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2003 and
| Windows 2000. In both instances, Microsoft detailed work-arounds.
`----

http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=spam,_malware_and_vulnerabilities&articleId=323402&taxonomyId=85&intsrc=kc_top

Microsoft DNS fix causes trouble for some

,----[ Quote ]
| The Microsoft Corp. released a DNS fix in its patch slate for July, but the
| company seems to have problems just getting it to end users. Moreover, some
| users of the DNS fix have experienced additional difficulties.
|
| So far, since Microsoft's DNS fix was issued on July 10, there have been two
| separate problems associated with its installation.
`----

http://www.gcn.com/online/vol1_no1/46704-1.html

SUBJECT: Microsoft SWI blog inaccuracies

,----[ Quote ]
| As you know, 3 weeks ago I published my paper, "Microsoft
| Windows DNS Stub Resolver Cache Poisoning"
| (http://www.trusteer.com/docs/Microsoft_Windows_resolver_DNS_cache_poiso
| ning.pdf),
|
| simultaneously with Microsoft's release of MS08-020
| (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS08-020.mspx).
| A day later, Microsoft's Secure Windows
| Initiative (SWI) team published their blog entry for MS08-
| 020
| (http://blogs.technet.com/swi/archive/2008/04/09/ms08-020-how-predictabl
| e-is-the-dns-transaction-id.aspx).
|
| Unfortunately, the SWI blog entry contains two serious
| mistakes. The first mistake is an inaccurate description of
| the PRNG used for the Microsoft Windows DNS client
| transaction ID. The second mistake is SWI's claim that
| "attackers cannot predict a guaranteed, known-next TXID
| exactly even with this weakness".
|
| I contacted Microsoft about those mistakes, and while
| Microsoft did not refute my statements, they also refused
| to revise the blog entry. On one hand, I am inclined to tag
| this as a simple unwillingness on the side of the vendor to
| revise its materials and admit its mistakes. On the other
| hand, I cannot ignore the fact that the two mistakes, when
| combined, result in misleading the blog reader about the
| nature and the severity of the problem.
|
| [...]
|
| This is in stark contrast to SWI's claims. Furthermore,
| Microsoft did have the full paper (actually, a draft of it
| which contains all the relevant technical information) well
| before the SWI blog was published. So the problem here is
| not an issue of SWI not having access to the paper when
| they wrote their blog entry.
`----

http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/491392

Related:

Microsoft preps 133 patches for Windows DNS hole

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is working on 133 separate updates for the problem, Budd wrote.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9710490-7.html

Microsoft DNS Server Attacks Continue

,----[ Quote ]
| The concept enables malicious users to run code remotely under the
| system privileges generally granted to the DNS service itself.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/Microsoft_DNS_Server_Attacks_Continue/1176828918

Microsoft: Patch for critical DNS flaw may be ready by 8 May

,----[ Quote ]
| The cmopany has been under pressure to address the flaw, reported
| last week, since software that exploits it has now been widely
| disseminated, and criminals are beginning to use it in attacks.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/technology/servers-data-centre/infrastructure-management/news/index.cfm?newsid=2650
http://tinyurl.com/27wje2

Attack code raises Windows DNS zero-day risk

,----[ Quote ]
| At least four exploits for the vulnerability in the Windows domain
| name system, or DNS, service were published on the Internet over the
| weekend, Symantec said in an alert Monday.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6176429.html

Cybercrooks exploiting new Windows DNS flaw

,----[ Quote ]
| Cybercrooks are using a yet-to-be-patched security flaw in certain
| Windows versions to attack computers running the operating systems,
| Microsoft warned late Thursday.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6175743.html

Microsoft's advisories giving clues to hackers

,----[ Quote ]
| How's this for a new twist on the old responsible disclosure debate:
| Hackers are taking advantage of information released in Microsoft's
| pre-patch security advisories to create exploits for zero-day
| vulnerabilities.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=167

DNS security improves as firms tool up to tackle spam

,----[ Quote ]
| Infoblox's survey found that the number of internet-facing DNS servers
| increased from 9m in 2006 to 11.5m in 2007, indicative of the overall growth
| of the internet. Percentage usage of the most recent and secure version of
| open-source domain name server software - BIND 9 - increased from 61 per cent
| to 65 per cent over the last year. Use of BIND 8, by contrast, dropped from
| 14 per cent in 2006 to 5.6 per cent this year. Usage of the Microsoft DNS
| Server on web-facing systems also fell, decreasing to to 2.7 per cent in 2007
| from five per cent last year.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/20/dns_security_survey/

Use of rogue DNS servers on rise