[News] Microsoft Already Loses to Android (Linux) and Oracle Might Sell Linux Too

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft Already Loses to Android (Linux) and Oracle Might Sell Linux Too
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 00:12:21 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Android Gains on Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| As if Google doesn't have enough high-octane foes, it's about to pick a fight
| with another giant: Amazon (AMZN). The Wall Street Journal reports that the
| search giant is planning to launch software that will allow book publishers
| to sell digital versions that will work with any computer, e-book, or
| smartphone that can access the Web. This puts Google in direct competition
| with Amazon, which sells electronic versions of books for its Kindle. What's
| next, Google—taking on Jesus Christ or something? You gonna offer a
| Linux-based patch that lets us walk on water?
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/bigMoney/idUS16324790120090602

Ellison Mulls Foray Into Netbook Market

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle Corp. Chief Executive Larry Ellison floated the idea that the software
| company might target mobile devices after its planned acquisition of Sun
| Microsystems Inc., including the small, low-priced computers called netbooks.
`----

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124396674001577901.html?ru=yahoo#mod=yahoo_hs

Recent:

Android Scripting Environment Adds More Power to Google Phone

,----[ Quote ]
| If you are a programmer, then you will surely love this newly introduced
| Android application. It’s appropriately called Android Scripting Environment
| (ASE) since this program makes it possible for you to edit and execute
| scripts directly on your Android device.
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2009/06/android-scripting-environment-ase-adds.html

Android port to MIPS completed

,----[ Quote ]
| Embedded Alley (EA) announced it is has completed its port of the
| Linux/Java-based Android platform to the MIPS architecture. The Embedded
| Alley Development System for Android-based Devices initially targets devices
| ranging from set-top boxes (STBs) to industrial equipment running the
| MIPS-based RMI Au1250 processor.
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2820170679.html?kc=rss

Google Android Evolves From 'Cupcake' To 'Donut'

,----[ Quote ]
| Even though Google Android users have yet to receive the "Cupcake" update
| that will deliver Android 1.5 to their devices, Google is already hinting at
| the operating system update's successor: "Donut."
|
| Donut, also known as Android 2.0, made its debut during a keynote speech at
| the Google I/O conference this week. Android Interface Toolkit Engineer
| Romain Guy gave attendees a sneak peek at three big advancements in the open
| source mobile operating system, which will be a part of Android 2.0,
| codenamed Donut.
`----

http://www.crn.com/mobile/217700776;jsessionid=TRX25UALNZFXKQSNDLRSKH0CJUNN2JVN

Why Android Could Be Headed for the Laundry Room

,----[ Quote ]
| The most enthusiastic for Android was Sehat Sutardja, the chief executive of
| the Marvell Technology Group, which makes processor chips for phones as well
| as other gadgets, including a new $99 computer the size of a cellphone
| charger.
`----

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/28/why-android-could-be-headed-for-the-laundry-room/

T-Mobile to Launch Many Android Devices Later This Year

,----[ Quote ]
| T-Mobile USA is looking to introduce Android-based devices from three
| different manufacturers, Cole Brodman, chief technology officer of the
| company, said in a conversation with me earlier today. Android is a mobile OS
| developed by Mountain View, Calif.-based technology giant, Google.
`----

http://gigaom.com/2009/05/08/t-mobile-to-launch-many-android-devices-later-this-year/

World first Android Netbook- Skytone Alpha680

,----[ Quote ]
| Great netbook with the latest emerging software system. This is how the
| Skytone Alpha680 the Netbook based on Android performs. These are some of the
| typical applications we run on Alpha680. there are a lot more applications to
| come.
`----

http://asuseeehacks.blogspot.com/2009/05/world-first-android-netbook-skytone.html

The Android Netbooks Cometh