[News] Free Software in CMS: New Book, New Online Demo, Rave

Reviewed: New Book on Selecting an Open Source CMS

,----[ Quote ]
| People who are new to content management systems find it a little
| overwhelming as they try to figure out which CMS is right for them. Packt
| Publishing (news, site) has released a book that hopes to help people make
| some sense out of so many choices.
`----

http://www.cmswire.com/cms/web-cms/reviewed-new-book-on-selecting-an-open-source-cms-004795.php

click2try(TM) Adds Sakai CLE to Open Source Catalog

,----[ Quote ]
| click2try (http://www.click2try.com), a community site that makes it easy to
| try and use Open Source software, today announced it has added Sakai CLE to
| its online catalog of Open Source applications.
`----

http://news.prnewswire.com/DisplayReleaseContent.aspx?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/06-09-2009/0005040777&EDATE=

Simplifying Life With MediaWiki and Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| After several years of trying to find a good note-taking solution, I’ve
| finally settled on a local installation of MediaWiki on my Ubuntu laptop for
| managing information relevant to my academic and personal pursuits.  Below, I
| outline my experiences with the software, and explain why the ease of
| deploying it and similar packages on Ubuntu is one of the platform’s
| greatest, and perhaps most under-appreciated, strengths.
|
| Since college, I’ve tried at least half-a-dozen different approaches to
| taking notes, and until now was less than satisfied with each of them.
| Handwritten notes are difficult to store and search through.  OpenOffice is
| bulky for notetaking, while plain text files offer little opportunity for
| mark-up.  The various note-taking applications that I tried, like Tomboy,
| were decent, but none offered exactly what I wanted.
`----

http://www.workswithu.com/2009/06/10/simplifying-life-with-mediawiki-and-ubuntu/

Recent:

Will Open Source 'Kill' Vignette?

,----[ Quote ]
| Ten years ago, Vignette was the brand name for web content management in many
| respects, plenty of sites (including more than a few that I was associated
| with) were users and customers. Though Vignette with a valuation of some $310
| million is hardly 'dead', I also suspect that at many levels of the CMS
| space, open source solutions, be it Mambo/Joomla, Drupal, Zope or higher up
| the stack with an Alfresco have displaced Vignette over the years.
|
| Today I spend most of my time writing about technology as opposed to building
| it, but I've also seen more than my fair share of home grown (usually basic
| LAMP) solutions displace Vignette as well.
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2009/05/will-open-source-kill-vignette.html

A Powerful Open Source Content Management System - Drupal

,----[ Quote ]
| Large and Friendly Community - With so many major sites using Drupal, it’s
| not going away soon. For an idea of the size of the developer community, take
| a look at the long list of community-contributed modules.
`----

http://www.ozelwebtasarim.com/index.php/web-haberleri/8314-a-powerful-open-source-content-management-system-drupal

Open source goes back to school

,----[ Quote ]
| The Shuttleworth Foundation is releasing an open source school information
| management system worldwide.
`----

http://www.itweb.co.za/sections/software/2009/0905071034.asp?O=FPTOP&S=Open%20Source&A=LIN

SilverStripe CMS Goes (more) International, Launches Partner Network

,----[ Quote ]
| Perhaps most well known for powering the US Democratic Party's National
| Convention website, streaming live speeches by Barak Obama and serving 3.2
| billion pageviews over 96 hours, SilverStripe was also the winner of the 2008
| Packtpub Open Source CMS awards in the Most Promising CMS category.
| SilverStripe also recently became only the second vendor that is an official
| Mollom partner.
`----

http://www.cmswire.com/cms/web-cms/silverstripe-cms-goes-more-international-launches-partner-network-004552.php

Taking Joomla! to new heights

,----[ Quote ]
| For someone who heads a project that develops the most widely used open
| source content management system, Andrew Eddie tends to be somewhat low-key.
| One could even call him bashful.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/24904/1148/

State of the Project Report: Joomla! Web CMS

,----[ Quote ]
| The original intent was to use the GNU Public License (GPL) for Joomla!
| However, there was an entire ecosystem of proprietary extensions around the
| open source CMS, with many people making their entire living from these
| extensions.
|
| In 2005, the core team had a member of the OSM board write up a rider,
| granting an exception for these extension developers to use any license they
| wanted.
|
| This rider was added in May 2006, but that wasn't the end of the issue. Over
| the next year, the core team began to worry that exceptions were not in fact
| legal within some interpretations of the GPL and may put the project in
| jeopardy. On June 14, 2007, the official announcement "Open Source Does
| Matter" appeared, re-committing Joomla! to full GPL compliance and promising
| that the road would not be littered with lawsuits or snap decisions.
`----

http://www.cmswire.com/cms/web-cms/state-of-the-project-report-joomla-web-cms-004182.php

Linux.SYS-CON.com Q&A with Lead Developer of Joomla!, Andrew Eddie

,----[ Quote ]
| In September, core developers of Mambo, the popular open source content
| management system, announced a fork of the project, called Joomla!, with
| virtually all active participants following the fork.
|
| I caught up with Andrew Eddie, lead developer of the new Joomla!, to find out
| more about the decision to fork the Mambo project, and to find out how things
| are going so far.
`----

http://linux.sys-con.com/node/139435/print

The Pros and Cons of Using Joomla!

,----[ Quote ]
| Joomla! is a content management system you can use to build websites faster
| than you ever imagined. Read more about the pluses and minuses of using
| Joomla!
`----

http://www.computersight.com/Software/The-Pros-and-Cons-of-Using-Joomla.377273

Portrait: Louis Landry of Joomla! finds direction in FOSS

,----[ Quote ]
| For Louis Landry, a member of the core team for the Joomla! management
| system, free and open source software (FOSS) is not just a hobby, nor just
| the technology behind Jxtended, the consulting business in which he is a
| partner. For Landry, FOSS is also the movement that gave him direction in
| life, and provides both the rationale and the outlet for his diverse
| interests. In fact, he is so enthusiastic about FOSS that he sounds like an
| evangelist for the community whenever it is mentioned.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/139747

Joomla! and the latest trends in the open source revolution

,----[ Quote ]
| As of February 2008, the official Joomla support forum, moderated by Brad
| Baker, has more than 260,000 threads and 1.2 million posts from more than
| 170,000 registered members in 40 languages.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php?id=1632521361&rid=-219

Related:

Joomla Awarded Best Open Source CMS

,----[ Quote ]
| The Joomla team has been having a great year and it seems the end
| is no where in sight.
`----

http://www.cmswire.com/cms/open-source-cms/joomla-awarded-best-open-source-cms-000894.php

Ladies and Gentlemen... [Joomla! 1.5]

,----[ Quote ]
| It is with great pride that the Joomla! community announces to the world the
| immediate availability of Joomla! 1.5 Stable [Khepri].  As a community of
| contributors, we have been through celebrations and tribulations. We have had
| fun, and we have worked hard. We have learned from and helped one another.
| What started two and a half years ago with a letter to the community has
| grown into a great opportunity for both the Joomla! project and community to
| benefit from these efforts and to consider our future.
`----

http://www.joomla.org/content/view/4488/1/

Joomla! - the licence stays the same

,----[ Quote ]