[News] More Forces of Free Software in Asia

Sri Lanka open source firm starts free 'summer school'

,----[ Quote ]
| WSO2, a Sri Lankan software firm, is starting a free 'summer school' this
| month on open source software and service oriented architecture (SOA), the
| company said.
| The eight week program will help at enterprise IT architects and developers
| to become more familiar with SOA concepts, technologies and best practices,
| the company said.
|
| WSO2 says the developer community has been hit by the global economic
| downturn.
`----

http://www.lankabusinessonline.com/fullstory.php?nid=957571149

Top in his field

,----[ Quote ]
| Open-source experts are a rare breed in the country and we found one in the
| unlikeliest place — a farm.
`----

http://star-techcentral.com/tech/story.asp?file=/2009/6/9/itfeature/3938091&sec=itfeature

Recent:

Suntel bids adieu to Microsoft, embraces IBM

,----[ Quote ]
| IT major IBM announced today that Suntel, a Sri Lankan based
| telecommunications provider, has selected IBM Lotus software to create a
| collaborative environment to improve the way employees work together in any
| mode at any time, raising employee performance and cost-efficiency.
|
| [...]
|
| He added that they are also pleased with the contribution IBM has made to the
| open community through Lotus Suite of products. With Lotus Symphony, which is
| based on the Open Document Format (ODF), an open industry standard, Suntel no
| longer relies on a proprietary technology.
`----

http://www.ciol.com/News/News-Reports/Suntel-bids-adieu-to-Microsoft,-embraces-IBM/5209115632/0/

Open Document Format Has Been Accepted By 16 Governments

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/software/enterpriseapps/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=XVB21TSOTSDSSQSNDLPCKH0CJUNN2JVN?articleID=212700444&_requestid=293222&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_Windows&_requestid=442662
http://tinyurl.com/99y9um