[News] K Desktop Environment: Development and Conference Plans

Network Manager Sprint In Oslo

,----[ Quote ]
| A small but intense code sprint took place in Oslo last weekend. Peder
| Osevoll Midthjell, Sveinung Dalatun and Anders Sandven, who work on mobile
| broadband connections for Linux as their thesis project, met with Darío
| Freddi, Will Stephenson and Frederik Gladhorn of KDE. Knut Yrvin spent his
| weekend with us to make us feel comfortable at Qt Software.
`----

http://www.kdenews.org/2009/06/10/network-manager-sprint-oslo

Stallman, Bender, Lefkowitz and Pavelek To Hold Keynotes at Gran Canaria
Desktop Summit

,----[ Quote ]
| The GNOME Foundation and KDE e.V. are excited to announce the keynotes for
| the first ever co-located Akademy and GUADEC, over 100 talks as well as BOFs,
| keynote sessions, lightning talks and many opportunities to meet other
| developers and begin collaborating between projects.
| Current confirmed keynotes are:
|
|     * Richard Stallman, Free Software Foundation
|     * Walter Bender, Executive Director, Sugar Labs
|     * Robert Lefkowitz, Distinguished Engineer of the ACM
|     * Jakub Pavelek, Nokia
`----

http://www.kdenews.org/2009/06/11/stallman-bender-lefkowitz-and-pavelek-hold-keynotes-gran-canaria-desktop-summit

Recent:

KDE 4.2.4 a.k.a. CornRow Released

,----[ Quote ]
| The KDE Release Machine seems unstoppable these days! Today brings you KDE
| 4.2.4, the monthly update to the 4.2 series of KDE. KDE 4.2.4 is the
| recommended update for all those using KDE 4.2, or rather anything in the KDE
| 4 series. Those that stayed away from KDE 4 until now might give it a whirl
| as well to see if KDE 4 is up to their tasks.
`----

http://www.kdenews.org/2009/06/02/kde-424-aka-cornrow-released

KDE Community Improves Desktop with KDE 4.2.4

http://kde.org/announcements/announce-4.2.4.php

KDE 4: The Komplete Desktop?

,----[ Quote ]
| The desktop is very different to anything else experienced in the Linux
| world, although users familiar with previous revisions of KDE will feel some
| comfort. All installed applications are available from the K-button in the
| task bar and broken down by category. Unlike GNOME, KDE includes most
| configuration options under a central control centre and there are lots and
| lots of things users can tweak. This is one of the main issues which
| separates GNOME and KDE projects. GNOME tries to keep things simple while KDE
| offers a plethora of options and puts more power in the hands of the user.
| Although he currently uses GNOME (due to his disappointment with the KDE 4.0
| release), Linus Torvalds said: “This ‘users are idiots, and are confused by
| functionality’ mentality of GNOME is a disease. If you think your users are
| idiots, only idiots will use it. I don’t use GNOME, because in striving to be
| simple, it has long since reached the point where it simply doesn’t do what I
| need it to do. Please, just tell people to use KDE.”
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/cache/7346/1.html

Kcheckgmail Gets in the KDE 4 Door

,----[ Quote ]
| There are several programs to get mail notifications in the notification tray
| in KDE 4 but up until now there have been no native KDE ones: cgmail, and
| gnubiff rely alot on Gnome. There is the emailnotify plasmoid which isn’t too
| shabby but I wanted my notifications in the notification area!
`----

http://linuxtidbits.wordpress.com/2009/06/03/kcheckgmail-gets-in-the-kde-4-door/

Selective list of Plasma changes for KDE 4.3

,----[ Quote ]
| Aaron Seigo has published a list of changes and new features to Plasma, the
| desktop shell for KDE4, that will be included in KDE4.3. This list is quite
| long, so I will only try to show the most important changes.
`----

http://polishlinux.org/kde/selective-list-of-plasma-changes-for-kde-43/

KDE 4.3 Beta 1 - looking pretty

,----[ Quote ]
| Looking back for a moment, there's no question that KDE 4 has had a very
| rough ride. Certainly, version 4.0 was a disappointment for many users,
| lacking features and functionality to make the move from 3.5 worthwhile.
| Version 4.1 started to repair the damage, and 4.2 padded it out to be good
| all-round desktop (don't miss our top KDE 4.2 tips!). Will 4.3 be the first
| 4.x release to win over armies of Gnome fans?
`----

http://www.tuxradar.com/content/kde-43-beta-1-looking-pretty

KDE 4.3 Beta 1 Out For Testing

,----[ Quote ]
| The KDE Community today announced the immediate availability of KDE 4.3 Beta
| 1, the first preview of the 3rd iteration over the KDE 4 desktop,
| applications and development platform.
| KDE 4.3 focuses on polishing and completing the user experience by providing
| a modern and beautiful Free working environment. KDE's award-winning tools
| and applications are available in more than 50 languages. The KDE team is now
| in bugfixing mode in order to provide a smooth KDE 4.3.0 to end users in late
| July.
`----

http://kde.org/announcements/announce-4.3-beta1.php

KDE 4.3: First Widget for Social Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| A widget has been included in KDE 4.3 as the first implementation of the
| „Social Desktop“ which allows the user to view other KDE users in his or her
| city or region.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/online/news/kde_4_3_first_widget_for_social_desktop

KDE 4.3 - early preview

,----[ Quote ]
| Like it or not, KDE 4.3 will be a great leap forward in this environment’s
| development. I won’t hesitate to say, it will be a bigger one than KDE 4.1 to
| 4.2. Interestingly enough, my compilation of development snapshot worked
| stable and jerk-free - no major issues there.
`----

http://polishlinux.org/kde/kde-43-early-preview/

wallpapers and other bobbles for 4.3

,----[ Quote ]
| We have a number of new Plasma components lining up to make it into 4.3. Not
| least among them is a geolocation DataEngine, making it absolutely trivial
| for anything Plasma to get at the information either via a GPS device or by
| looking up the location of your network address if you are online. Along with
| a handful of new widgets, some I've already written about recently, we also
| have no less than six new wallpaper plugins that may make it into 4.3!
`----

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2009/04/wallpapers-and-other-bobbles-for-43.html

Air and KDE 4.3.

,----[ Quote ]
| Air was the wallpaper we introduced in KDE 4.2, but that is just the
| beginning of something larger. Air is supposed to be different than what
| Oxygen is, something that tries to appeal to a user base looking for a
| more "sexy" experience than Oxygen (yeah I know you are out there :) ), but
| to still have the capability of merging nicely with what we have now.
`----

http://pinheiro-kde.blogspot.com/2009/02/air-and-kde-43.html

Five Improvements For KDE 4.3

,----[ Quote ]