[News] Open Access Celebrates Many New Wins

Estimating Information Production and the Size of the Public Domain

,----[ Quote ]
| To illustrate, here are some results based on the catalogue of Cambridge
| University Library which is one of the UK’s “copyright libraries” (i.e. they
| have a right to obtain, though not an obligation to hold, one copy of every
| book published in the UK). This first plot shows the numbers of publications
| per year up until 1960 (when the dataset ends) based on the publication date
| recorded in the catalogue.
`----

http://www.rufuspollock.org/2009/06/09/estimating-information-production-and-the-size-of-the-public-domain/

Are Commercial Buildings Ready for Open-Source Energy Management?

,----[ Quote ]
| Picture the lighting and chillers of commercial buildings being controlled by
| a system designed in the same way as Mozilla’s Firefox — through open source,
| the collaborative method of developing software source code. While we’ve
| covered open source-based home area energy management systems, the OpenLynx
| project, started by Anno Scholten, vice president of business development for
| NovusEdge, is looking to tackle the underlying software that controls the
| energy consumption of massive commercial buildings.
`----

http://earth2tech.com/2009/06/09/are-commercial-buildings-ready-for-open-source-energy-management/

Online Educational Resources in Africa

,----[ Quote ]
| Today, Amanda Coolidge (British Columbia Institute of Technology) joins us
| and talks about what’s happening with Open Educational Resources (OER) in
| Africa. Down the line, she’ll be blogging about OER in other parts of the
| world as well. Take it away Amanda.
`----

http://www.openculture.com/2009/06/online_educational_resources_in_africa.html

Transparency of politicians’ expenses goes global

,----[ Quote ]
| Wow - the MPs’ expenses story has taken off in a way I never predicted.
| That’s part of the reason I’ve not been posting regularly (not that I’ve ever
| been a prolific blogger). But in the past month, I’ve been inundated with
| interview requests from all over the world. Apart from the British media,
| I’ve been in Le Monde in France, El Pais in Spain, CNN and the New York Times
| in the USA plus various other newspapers, TV and radio from Japan, Italy,
| Germany, Romania, New Zealand, Australia, Greece and Chile.
`----

http://www.yrtk.org/2009/transparency-of-politicians-expenses-goes-global/

Open Access. Chapter 6 of Scholarly Communication for Librarians.

http://eprints.rclis.org/16282/

Free Courses Online: More Choices Than Ever

,----[ Quote ]
| We've written about free e-learning resources and tools, such as Moodle,
| several times here on OStatic, as well as collections of open source
| tutorials. Many universities are picking up on the fact that it is easy to
| use free, open source tools such as Moodle to provide classes online that
| anyone can take. U.C. Berkeley provides free online classes based on Moodle,
| and M.I.T. has a collection of over 1,900 free courses on its
| MITOpenCourseware site, many on tech topics. MITWorld also has a searchable
| database of free, educational videos. Here are some notable examples of
| classes and seminars that may be of interest to you.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/free-courses-online-more-choices-than-ever

Recent:

Questions for the European Parliament from the research community concerning
Open Access

,----[ Quote ]
| Researchers are paid directly or indirectly through governmental funding.
| They work in publicly-funded institutions and universities. They exchange
| their findings through refereed journal articles: this exchange is an
| absolute necessity for the progress of their research.
`----

http://www.europenscience.org/?p=35

Another Reason We Need Open Access

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the more laughable reasons that traditional science publishers cite in
| their attempts to rubbish open access is that it's somehow not so rigorous
| as "their" kind of publishing. There's usually a hint that standards might be
| dropped, and that open access journals aren't, well, you know, quite proper.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/05/another-reason-we-need-open-access.html

Merck Makes Phony Peer-Review Journal

,----[ Quote ]
| It is this attitude within companies like Merck and among doctors that allows
| scandals precisely like this to happen. While the scandals with Merck and
| Vioxx are particularly egregious, we know they are not isolated incidents.
| This one is just particularly so. If physicians would not lend their names or
| pens to these efforts, and publishers would not offer their presses, these
| publications could not exist. What doctors would have as available data would
| be peer-reviewed research and what pharmaceutical companies produce from
| their marketing departments--actual advertisements.
`----

http://blog.bioethics.net/2009/05/merck-makes-phony-peerreview-journal/

Merck And Elsevier Exposed For Creating Fake Peer Review Journal

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course, this is exactly the sort of thing that you can do when everything
| is locked up and proprietary, rather than open. There's almost no way to
| confirm or check the data or information to make sure it's legit, so people
| tend to assume it is. In that regard, perhaps it's no surprise that the two
| companies eventually went down this road, but it does highlight one of the
| problems with the way the system works today. As Shirky later points out this
| is hardly unique for a firm like Elsevier, which has faced some serious
| ethical questions regarding its publications in the past as well.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090503/1255574725.shtml

Related:

The serials crisis has a name, and it's Reed Elsevier.

,----[ Quote ]
| Mind you, I don't mean to imply that we should launch another boycott;
| reigning in Elsevier's profit margins and/or market share would do little to
| offset the serials crisis. The only answer to that, in the long term, is Open
| Access, because it scales where Toll access doesn't. No, this entry is not
| really about OA at all, it's just a little kick in the shins for my favorite
| Greedy Bastard Publishers.
`----

http://www.sennoma.net/main/archives/2008/12/the_serials_crisis_has_a_name.php

Elsevier steals, then copyrights other people's free stuff

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://scienceblogs.com/clock/2008/08/elsevier_steals_then_copyright.php