[News] Pirate Party to Fight Against Software Patents, EPO Sells Out

The Pirate Party

,----[ Quote ]
| The Pirate Party has a constructive and reasoned proposal for an alternative
| to pharmaceutical patents. It would not only solve these problems, but also
| give more money to pharmaceutical research, while still cutting public
| spending on medicines in half. This is something we would like to discuss on
| a European level.
|
| Patents in other areas range from the morally repulsive (like patents on
| living organisms) through the seriously harmful (patents on software and
| business methods) to the merely pointless (patents in the mature
| manufacturing industries).
|
| Europe has all to gain and nothing to lose by abolishing patents outright. If
| we lead, the rest of the world will eventually follow.
`----

http://www.piratpartiet.se/international/english

http://twitter.com/zoobab/statuses/2074655109

"EPO teaches software programmers they have to read and understand 60.000
patents before writing code"

New brochure:

Patents for software?

http://www.epo.org/about-us/publications/general-information/patents-for-software.html?update

Recent:

"The European Patent Office is a Corrupt, Malicious Organisation Which Should
Not Exist"

                        --Richard Stallman

“Staff at the European Patent Office went on strike accusing the organization
of corruption: specifically, stretching the standards for patents in order to
make more money.

“One of the ways that the EPO has done this is by issuing software patents in
defiance of the treaty that set it up.”

                        --Richard Stallman

Recent:

IAM exclusive - Brimelow to quit as EPO President

,----[ Quote ]
| Alison Brimelow will not seek reappointment as President of the European
| Patent Office when her current term expires at the end of June 2010, it was
| announced today. Rainer Osterwalder, Director of Media Relations at the EPO,
| told IAM this afternoon: "Yes, I can confirm that Alison Brimelow has
| informed the EPO staff today that she will not seek an extension of her
| contract which ends on 30 June 2010."
`----

http://www.iam-magazine.com/Blog/Detail.aspx?g=c54c7e9c-28e0-42cf-9e10-389812ad3e60

Software patents plot buried under amicus avalanche

,----[ Quote ]
| The EPO's latest attempt to validate their widely criticized practice of
| software patenting has been met with a much stronger response than expected.
| This broad public interest comes in reaction to the referral on the
| patentability of software to the Enlarged Board of Appeal. The referral
| procedure allows interested third parties to file statements - Amicus Curiae
| Briefs - to present their views to the members of the board. The Enlarged
| Board of Appeals asked for such statements to be submitted by end of April
| and a total of 89 such statements have been published by the Register so far.
`----

http://press.ffii.org/Press_releases/Software_patents_plot_buried_under_amicus_avalanche

European Patent Office refuses spanish amicus brief against software patents

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://stopsoftwarepatents.org/forum/t-160633/european-patent-office-refuses-spanish-amicus-brief-against-software-patents